Thursday, February 23, 2017

Rumours Confirmed: I'm a Knitter

I can't stop. Here's the 8th shawl I've made since October. It's the Reyna pattern (free on Ravelry), knit with a gifted skein of self-striping shawl yarn from Green Caterpillar called "Fade to Blue".

Reyna shawl made with Green Caterpillar shawl striping MCN in Fade to Blue

Reyna shawl knit by Poppyprint

Now, before you think I'm all super clever with the contrasting bind off, I will admit to my rookie mistake. I didn't leave enough yarn to complete the bind off row. I felt mildly panicked because if I pulled out those lace rows, it would be really hard for me to get the work back on the needle. I decided I might as well bind off with some leftover green yarn from a previous shawl project. It is a heavier weight than the fingering used for this shawl, but I went for it anyway and I love how it turned out!

Reyna shawl knit by Poppyprint

Reyna shawl knit by Poppyprint

After a soak and blocking, it is so light and lacy! This will be a thank you gift for a friend soon. I'm ready to move onto a new knitting challenge and have decided on the Rikke hat (another free pattern on Ravelry). I started it once already, but ripped it out when I realized the cast-on row was too large for my head. With some helpful Instagram advice, I'm ready to start again with a gorgeous skein of Malabrigo Rios.

12 comments:

Crafty Coffin said...

It is really lovely! And before you mentioned the bind-off, I just assumed it was part of the self-striping nature of the yarn - so it looks very intentional (and fun!) to me.

Are you familiar with the idea of lifelines in knitting? The idea is that you either carry along a thin bit of contrasting yarn/dental floss or use a darning needle to run it through the stitches on your needle so that if you need to rip back you don't have to worry about losing the stitches - I think they are essential for lace knitting and for projects like this where you are unsure how much yarn you will need.

Karen said...

Such a beautiful shawl! But...Wait...Is your head shrinking?? :)

♥Duff said...

Just gorgeous! I'd love to learn how to knit properly. Did you self-learn, learn from a friend, or take a course?

Debbie said...

It's positively GORGEOUS! I've got another skein of Caterpillargreen yarn at home and I might just do that pattern. ROCK STAR!

Theglasdiva said...

Now I'm totally jealous. I wish I could knit that fast. Or maybe just stay that focused. With all the other projects you complete it's mind boggling. Do you actually sleep? I really love all the shawls you've shown here. Can I hope we'll be able to see one live at a VMQG meeting? The next one sound intriguing too.

Esther said...

I have that pattern saved in my favourites over on Ravelry as well!. Don't know when I will get to it but Love your version!

KaHolly said...

It's gorgeous! Thanks for the links! I just finished a shawl last night and am ready to begin something new.

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

It is addictive. Reyna is next in que for me. I have a red, white black and gray yarn for it. Lots of free Shawl pattern on Ralvery. I like the asymmetrical ones best. I am Kathy Gordon on Ralvery. Check out my blog post in Yarn numbing my garden. I think you will like it.
http://kwiltypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/06/yarn-bombing-my-garden.html

rstogether said...

It's gorgeous! And I'll say it again - I'm mad jealous of your knitting skills...though I'll just console myself knowing the gene is in you.

Elsa said...

First thing I noticed on your shawl was the border! It looks fab! I love knitting too. My favorite knit shop, Happy Knits, closed and had a great sale, I out did myself with sales and won't have to buy yarn for at least the next year!

Dianne said...

You have wonderful tension. I'm not sure if I've told you that before but seeing these photos it is quite evident.
You are a knitter indeed!

What Comes Next? said...

Beautiful! The yarn is gorgeous and the contrast bindoff perfect. I've made a version of this shawl and have it at work. It's a lovely pattern that gets lots of compliments