Monday, February 27, 2017

Winter extension

We've had an unusual winter here in Vancouver with lots of gorgeous snow. I am a bit of a crazy person by Vancouver standards because I LOVE the snow and always want more.  It snowed this weekend while I was teaching over on Vancouver Island for the new Nanaimo Modern Quilt Guild and the fun continued with a few scattered flurries this morning here in Vancouver. How lucky that I got to enjoy the few falling flakes during a walk on the seawall in my new Rikke hat!  I managed to finish it in just a few days (and secretly hoped it would stay cold enough that I could wear it a few times before spring).

Rikke hat in Malabrigo Rios

Rikke hat in Malabrigo Rios

Taking a selfie of the back of one's own head is a challenge (and you look pretty dorky doing it, I might add). However, it is the prettiest part of this garter-stitched hat, don't you think?

I began this hat once before, but after knitting about 4 inches and trying it on, it slipped easily down over my eyes and ears. Some helpful folks on Instagram suggested casting on 96 stitches instead of the pattern's 104. I like the fit much better. I also began my decreases after 7 1/2" because I didn't want the hat to be so super slouchy. I love the Malabrigo Rios in pure merino super wash. It is incredibly soft!

Rikke hat is a free pattern by Sarah Young available on Ravelry.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Nice hat! When I saw the first photo, I thought it was all purled on the outside and I was hoping you knit it inside out in the round so you could knit all the way around instead of purling. But with garter you get half of each (assuming you worked in the round), which is not a bad deal. ;O)

Katie said...

That is scrummy yarn! I have definitely never had the problem of a hat being too big! Every summer I hunt for a cute sun hat but never find one large enough, so I'm stuck with ball caps.

CaroleM said...

I have also loved the snow! My coworkers (I'm in Maple Ridge) just glare daggers at me when I say I love it. Lol. I like that we had a real winter! Anyhow also love the hat. Perfect for this weather!

Dianne said...

Modifying patterns?! What's next cables? :)
This is a lovely hat and how wonderful that you get yet another snow day to wear it (I can only say that and mean it because I don't have to go out in it).
That yarn is delicious, very nicely done Krista!!

rstogether said...

Well done, my knitting friend. It looks amazing, and with each of your creations, I get closer to trying it myself.

susan said...

its gorgeous!!!