Friday, May 8, 2015

Professional Poppyprint

One must have a professional-ish business card when one visits their first ever trade show, right?  I've had lots of fun trading and handing out my little Moo cards over the years, but it was time for the real deal.  Not really having a logo of my own has kept me from ordering business cards in the past.

While writing my book I had to prepare almost 200 drawings. I enjoy hand-drawing technical things very much, but thought I should take advantage of the necessity and learn some kind of computer drawing program.  When I attended the Fat Quarterly retreat in London a couple of years ago, Lynne taught an introduction to Touchdraw morning workshop. Touchdraw is a very user-friendly, inexpensive, 2-D drawing program for iPad that you buy from the appstore.  With the very small amount of information my exhausted and jet-lagged self retained from Lynne's class, I was able to trial and error my way through all of the book drawings. I also invested in an iPad stylus, which is much more accurate than fingers and a huge help. Yay!



So, back to the logo. I knew I wanted a stylized poppy print of some kind, so I started with a radial design of elongated ovals.  I figured I'd get something basic together, then ask my design guru Berene for help.  It turns out I was able to draw something all by myself that I liked very much, so I went with it!  The ombre is kind of quilty and overall, it is pretty similar to the print you'd get if you used a stamp pad and poppy seed pod to make a print.

poppyprint fabric

poppyprint process3

My new cards arrived today and I'm very happy with them! They were ordered on vistaprint.com. The price, quality and ease of designing them right on their website made it a no-brainer for me. I love that you can put a photo on the back of your card and crop it however you like. 

DSC_9881

DSC_9877

I'm going to carry them in this PERFECT needle-felted pouch gifted to me last year by a fellow Circus Mom after the hours and hours we spent sewing together for the show.

Ok! I think I'm ready for market. Well, just as soon as I figure out what to say at my schoolhouse. Yikes.

16 comments:

paulette said...

Your cards are perfect but it was your stamped fabrics that made my heart (almost) stop!! I think you NEED to get into fabric design next!!! You are going to be one busy gal!!
Good luck at Market...you are going to knock 'em dead! Take the paddles with you...just sayin'!

What Comes Next? said...

It's a great logo Krista - well done! I noticed it on IG this morning. Bayou will have a great time at market, I'm sure!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Great graphic logo! And I so love the quilt on the back!

SarahZ said...

What a great accomplishment under your belt as you head off to Market! The logo, and cards look super! Have a great time!

ann said...

Poppyprint Pro....wow. Now go have fun at quilt Market and keep us up to date with all the shenanigans

Debbie said...

I love the logo and love it even more that you designed it yourself. You go, girl!

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Great job on the cards! Have fun at market and good luck at the shopping spree. It sounds horrible and awesome all at the same time. Look out for ones with pointy elbows.

felicity said...

Gorgeous logo! Well done, you!!

Leanne said...

I love the logo and the card bag, you are ready!

Carla said...

Beautiful cards. Market is amazing. Fasten your seat belt!!

Dianne said...

Business card is awesome! Between it and the adorable pouch you are bound to impress ;0)

Debbie said...

Just perfect!

Rene' said...

Your cards are a perfect reflection of you! Love them! Good luck at the show! You'll be awesome, I have no doubt.

ChristaQuilts said...

Congrats on the new logo - I love it!

LethargicLass said...

so it never occurred to me that one could print poppies... how lovely!

Jessie Fincham said...

Good luck Krista! You'll be great, love the cards too. Touchdraw is fab. Must learn more things with that, I can only grasp the basics so far. xo