Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Peekaboo Bears - a Mini-Mini Quilt

I thought you'd like to see the completed mini-mini quilt that I started while on my trip to Australia. I posted some in-progress photos and more info about the pattern here.

It is mostly hand quilted with perle cotton, although I did do one outlining machine stitched line using 30 wt Aurifil in hot pink in that navy border. The binding was sewn on by machine and hand tacked to the back. Sadly, my hand-piecing accuracy is not the best (it's been ages since I did much hand-piecing) so most of those pretty points were lost around the outside, but I think overall it's still adorable. I hope my partner in the Ottawa MQG likes her little bears.  All I know about her is that she shares my aversion to brown and she likes Cotton & Steel fabric...this is 8" x 8" of 100% C&S!

Peekaboo Bears by Poppyprint

I embellished all of the bear eyes with a french knot - so cute!

I really enjoy participating in the swaps we do at VMQG because they tend to be small, manageable projects with a generous time frame to complete them. I'm thankful for the volunteers that take on the organisation and planning; in this case Amy. Our guild ships everything in one go (or sometimes we get lucky with a traveller who can personally deliver the goods). The rules for this one were "make a mini-mini quilt that has an outside perimeter of less than 48 inches". Perfect!!

If you've read Poppyprint for a while, then you know I used to swap like a fiend back in the Flickr days, starting with the famous Doll Quilt Swap.  I think one year I did over 10 swaps and learned many new things every time. Making stuff especially for another person according to their wishlist can be a really fun challenge.  Although I love participating, sharing and receiving beautiful handmade things from around the world, I try to limit myself to one or two a year now and that seems to be the perfect amount. Guild ones are great fun and it's especially fun to connect with other Canadian groups.

How about you...swapping anything these days?

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Tres adorable! I hadn't noticed the minor loping of points before. Too busy focusing on those ridiculously cute bears!
Hopefully there will be time for more swaps in the future. Right now there are too many other things in the pipeline.

rstogether said...

I love these bears! And your quilting. I have swapped once, and it was a big fail, so I've been very hesitant to swap again.
However, going forward, if I was to do it, I'd look at it like this - do my very best in what I produce, and take pride in putting that forward. What you get in return doesn't matter. It's the giving.
I just hope whatever I give doesn't disappoint!!
But your swap partner could never be disappointed.

Barb said...

Lovely Krista ,we had Melody and Alexa from Cotton and Steel in the store Saturday.A joy to meet them.

OPQuilt said...

Your bears are very cute, and I think participating in swaps at the local level has more attraction for me, than national/international. Perhaps I'm fooling myself, but I'm thinking the quality might be more even?

You must be busy currently--I hope you come back to blogging...when it's right.
:) Elizabeth