Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Simply Moderne - a new mag on the rack

The folks at Quiltmania have done it! They're producing a gorgeous new modern quilting magazine called Simply Moderne and they were kind enough to send me a copy to peruse.  I've always been a big fan of the styling, varied projects and high production quality of Quiltmania and have earmarked several patterns for "making one day" in my copies.  This includes a stunning Civil War fabrics quilt (YES, I'm serious and YES one day I'll make it - I even have the fabric!).

Simply Moderne Magazine

This premier issue includes several pages featuring photos of quilts from QuiltCon, 2015. Simply Moderne Executive Director Carol Veillon remarked in her editorial how inspired she was by the energy, quilts and excitement at the Austin, TX event.  It was a lovely surprise to see that a photo of Chess on the Steps was included in the QuiltCon feature, alongside the beautiful Shifting Impressions made by my friend and fellow Canadian Marianne Haak.  I must say, it is one of the best exposed photographs of my quilt that I've seen in print - it's very special, in fact thrilling, for me to know people appreciate my work enough to share it in publications.  It's even more fun to see my quilt featured along with the beautiful quilts of so many of my friends, including Leanne, AmyAra Jane, Martha & Rachel. It makes me realize how much my world has grown in the past 6 years of blogging, making and sharing - my heart is pretty full.

Simply Moderne Magazine

There is a wonderful article on Victoria Findlay Wolfe shot in her amazing Manhattan loft and several great photo spread/features on shops in New York, Austin and France.  I love seeing interior shots of stores to check out what is selling around the world and how goods are displayed.  You'll also find new book and notion reviews as well as recommended modern quilting blogs to check out.

Simply Moderne Magazine

Aside from the great feature stories, there are 13 patterns for quilts sewing projects! I read through all of the instructions; they are concise and well-written and provide a range of quilting options from eager beginner to seasoned skill-hound. I particularly love Michelle Tucker's Sew Vintage quilt.  The styling and photography is gorgeous - there is a full frontal shot of every quilt, which is something I always want to see in books and mags.

Simply Moderne Magazine

The magazine will issue 4 times per year and I'm already looking forward to the second issue! One-year or two-year subscriptions are available for U.S. and Canada here.  Subscribers to the paper edition automatically receive digital versions as well.

7 comments:

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Fantastic!! I hope there will be an option for the rest of us punters living in other countries.

Leanne said...

I best subscribe as I have not seen it in a store. I wonder if I can still get this copy, I would love to see the photo of my quilt in it.

MariQuilts said...

It was lovely to share a page with you.....I was surprised as well. I am as amazed as you are how my world has grown as a result of blogging.

Danielle said...

My copy arrived a few days ago and I agree, it's really wonderful. So nice to see your quilt and many other familiar ones from Quiltcon too ☺️

Carla said...

Isn't it great? I was so excited to see they are doing a modern version. Still love the original mag too. So inspiring!

trudys_person said...

When there's a break in the rain, I'm going to go out looking for this one ... Thanks for the review!

Sandra W said...

The photos and quilts are lovely but the sloppy translation and resulting errors drove me crazy. I would not buy it again.