Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Pink45

Over 18 months ago I put this little baby quilt together at retreat just for fun. I had some leftover HST's from another project, so I grabbed some coordinating yellow, pink and orange stash fabrics to cut into charm squares.  Along with the perfect flannel backing, I folded the quilt top over a hanger where it's been resting comfortably for all that time just waiting for a baby girl.

Pink45 by Poppyprint
Pink45 measures 31 x 40. Perfect for baby rolling over practice on the floor.

When I heard the news that my neighbour's daughter was expecting a girl, I was super happy (and did some patting myself on the back) that this little number was ready to go.  Naturally, I waited until the recent Vancouver heat wave to quilt it. Luckily, it didn't take very long...I'm super fast at this loopy swirl and it is my go-to all over FMQ pattern when I'm in a time crunch.  The baby is coming to visit from California later this week!

Pink45 by Poppyprint
Quilted with Aurifil 40wt yellow 2115

It definitely makes me shake my head that I'm gifting a baby quilt to our former baby-sitter's baby!! She's a welcome first grandchild and I hope she uses this cosy quilt right up to the last threads.  Because it is always my wish that baby quilts will be loved, washed and loved some more, I usually attach the binding by machine so that it is extra sturdy.  In this case, I sewed it on back to front and completed the stitching with my Pfaff topstitch foot (which I LOVE!). It has a fence right in the middle of the foot that you can snug up to the fabric edge, and a wide needle opening so that you can move the needle over a few ticks to the left or right of centre (depending on what side of the fence needs the stitching). You can see what you're doing and it's a breeze to get a nice, straight topstitch line.

 Pink45 by Poppyprint
Donkey from Violet Craft's sweet Madrona Road line. Also pictures is some Lizzy House Castle Peeps & Pearl Bracelets and Happy Zombie Happy Mochi Yum Yum.

9 comments:

Sandi said...

Lovely bright modern quilt for the new arrival. Love it Krista!

Shona Barbour said...

On your next small-ish project, can you review some layering and basting tips? It is this step that I always get hung up on and procrastinate with!

Svetlana said...

Such an adorable quilt. And yes, you totally deserve a pat on the back being so organized and all :).

Patricia said...

So pretty, any little girl will love it, even a big girl.

Leanne said...

It's a thing about heat waves and quilting deadlines. Lovely quilt!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

very cute, I am sure it will mean a lot to her.
Always nice to have a few things ready on hand to give away :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a sweet quilt.

Joan Acosta said...

As the grandmother of the baby who received this remarkable quilt, all I can say is that it is even more beautiful in the flesh. I am sure baby Olivia will enjoy looking at it on her bed, at the beach, on a picnic, and many other places. It will be well used and well loved.

PaddyAnne said...

I too just finished a small baby quilt about the same size. On it I tried the machine binding technique, and it saved a lot of time and will be sturdy for repeated washings. However, I sewed mine on "front to back" and while I did so, found myself thinking that I should do it the other way 'round, ie "back to front"... as you did! This way you can SEE the seam that will be most shown, and can make it as tidy (or as untidy) as you wish. I will follow your example next time :)