Wednesday, October 15, 2014

It is October, right?

Travelling over a change in month can be so disorienting. How is it mid-October already? Since returning from Italy, we have celebrated B's birthday and Thanksgiving. Next up is Hallowe'en!

The Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild often holds a block raffle at our meetings (one completed block = one raffle ticket to win a set of blocks). Every year I make tons of Hallowe'en blocks to enter, because I really want to make a Hallowe'en quilt! Alas, I've never one the Hallowe'en lotto. This will be my 4th attempt, so wish me luck.

I spent some time over the long weekend playing with scraps. Here's one of the blocks I made using some Oakshott Colourshott scraps from my Chess on the Steps quilt (speaking of which, go look at the incredibly playful All the Colours Quilt Leanne made using my pattern!).

Hexy pumpkin 6 1/2" block made with Oakshott Colourshotts for the VancouverMQG Halloween block exchange.

I used a 1/2" hexy to start and pieced 3/4" strips log-cabin style in rounds. So fun!  Our blocks have to be in size multiples of 6" finished, so this one is actually 6 1/2" square, but I've zoomed in on the pumpkin for the photo.

Scrappy candy corn pieced then cut with my GoBaby Accuquilt tumbler die.
apologies for pretty awful night time phone pics - it's dark and stormy here today!

For this 6 1/2" x 12 1/2" block, I first pieced some strips together and then cut out tumblers using my Accuquilt Go!Baby for some scrappy candy corn. I liked this so much, I made three more similar blocks. The meeting is next Monday night and I will let you know what happens.

I'm slowly making my way through holiday photos, editing, labelling and uploading. I'll be able to post some soon!

8 comments:

Indianna said...

Fingers crossed that you might win this year then as that little block is gorgeous.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That pumpkin is sew cute and sew tiny!

paulette said...

WOW!! Your blocks are awesome!! Fingers crossed for a big win this year!!
P

Leanne said...

Good luck, surely it is your turn to win! I love that pumpkin, and the candy corn.

What Comes Next? said...

it must be your turn this year! great blocks!

Elsa said...

Wishing you the best of luck!
I'd be happy to make you a block or two ~ I've got lots of orange fabric!
I love your pattern ~ Chess on the Steps and was looking for it on the MQG page and couldn't find it. The one Leanne made is amazing ~ all those colors!

Dianne said...

Cute blocks Krista. This is your year to win the blocks!!

Unknown said...

I'm a sucker for a good Halloween block and I just love that pumpkin! How did you go in the raffle?