Saturday, March 15, 2014

Organic Triangles for Baby

Friends of ours recently adopted a sweet baby girl. It's been a roller coaster for them for the past several months and I wanted to celebrate this special addition to their family with a little quilt. A recent visit to Spool of Thread resulted in the purchase of a stack of Cloud 9 Organics prints and a lovely, cosy flannel.

Cloud 9 flannel backing

While perusing the flannels, the one I ended up buying for the backing really jumped out at me and I decided to take advantage of the inspiration and make a 60 degree triangle quilt. I just love triangle quilts as a fairly quick and easy alternative to straight patchwork squares. I cut mine from 5 1/2" strips using a 60 degree triangle ruler.

Triangle Baby by Poppyprint

I added some Kona cotton solids and a Lizzy House Constellations print. I like that the quilt doesn't scream baby girl, but is still soft and sweet.  This baby's momma is a pretty hardcore outdoor athlete and I just don't see her going in for the all-pink-all-the-time thing.  The octopus and jelly fish are perfect little fussy cuts for a West Coast baby!

DSC_8119

I quilted straight lines 1/4" away from all the seams during a guild sew-in one Saturday. Although I set the stitch length rather long, the drag of the flannel and bulk of the seam allowances made it a bit difficult for me to maintain the length closer to the triangle intersections.  A good wash and dry will work it all out (oh, and I pre-washed and dried the flannel twice prior to backing the quilt with it).

DSC_8118

I just need to make a little label and then I can gift this sweet quilt!  I'm so happy to be sewing and posting regularly again!

18 comments:

karen said...

I/m happy for you that you are back at it too!!!

MariQuilts said...

Such a lovely quilt!!!

Melody said...

A lovely result

Tamie said...

What a very sweet quilt. Congratulations to the new parents.

Leanne said...

It's a perfect present for a new baby!

Catherine said...

What a perfect gift, and fabulous fabric choices

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

It's just dreamy...and must be so snuggly with the flannel.
P.S. New photo - nice!

Christine M said...

What a lovely quilt.

Georgi said...

Beautiful quilt ~ I know one little baby girl who's going to love snuggling with that one!

Katy Cameron said...

Love the fabrics you chose, and I bet that flannel is super snuggly

Debbie said...

This is really darling! Love the pattern repeat front & back!

dutchcomfort said...

Such a lovely quilt, the colours are perfect!

Ginette said...

What a cozy little quilt! Perfect for a baby. Congratulations to the new parents! I am sure everyone will enjoy cuddle time with this beautiful quilt!

paulette said...

The parents and baby are going to be tickled pink when they see this adorable quilt!! Love it and so will they! It was very thoughtful of you!!

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

Looks great!
Carol

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a sweet quilt. I'm so happy for the new parents. We are going through a somewhat similar process right now with our kids...

Second Chance Tan said...

Hello.......... I am so excited to find your lovely blog.... and am a new follower. I have a cheeky favour to ask!! I have spotted a beautiful star block that you made a few years ago with the quilting divas.. and I would love to get my bee mates to make this block for me when I am queen bee in May. Would you be able to point me in the direction of the tutorial for it??? Thanks very much, Tanya xxx

Goldogmom said...

What a sweet quilt to welcome your friends new baby.

Can I ask how you do your labels! I want to make one for a quilt I just started.