Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Road Trip - Quilter Style

Last Friday my Mom and I packed up the rental and hit the I-5 for a 36 hour quilting road trip! We started with a stop in Blaine, WA at the postal service I use for U.S. purchases. For a change there was only one fabric package awaiting pick up and two other items for the men in my family (B's birthday gift of a hydraulic seat post for his mountain bike and a neon sign transformer for T - more on that later!).

From there we continued to the gorgeous town of La Conner, WA where their incredible quilt museum was hosting a Quilt Festival. Quilts and wearables on display at 3 locations in town! Sadly, photography was not allowed, but Mom and I along with members of my Gathered Threads stitch group enjoyed the quilts very much. It was a treat to see so many gorgeous hand-appliqued quilts. I'll never make a Baltimore Album, but I do love, respect and appreciate beautiful hand work. After a delicious lunch at the Calico Cupboard (featuring tons of gluten-free baking!), the two of us set off for Seattle.

Pioneer Square, Seattle
Pioneer Square, late afternoon

After checking into our hotel at Pioneer Square, we hopped back in the car to catch the ferry over to Vashon Island. Check out this gorgeous setting sun from the ferry!

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012

This entire trip was prompted by the opening night of Krista Withers Longarm Quilting show ev.o.lu.tion at Island Quilter. Krista is affectionately known in these parts as K2: I am K1 due to my advanced age and Krista Fleckenstein is K3 due to the fact that she's still a kid.  This all started when K2 came to stay and attend one of my retreats and my husband couldn't handle having two Krista's in the house simultaneously answering all questions directed to "Krista". As in "Krista, would you like another glass of wine". "YES please!" in harmony.

K3 and I had conspired on a congratulatory bouquet. K2 had worked tirelessly for the past two months preparing work for the show and we are so proud of her!

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012
If you're on Instagram you may have watched this Frankenquilt grow from a pile of hexagons into this masterpiece over the past 6 weeks. Incredible! It really drew in the passersby attending the first Friday gallery night on Vashon's main drag.

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012
Krista's paintings from her life before quilting - I think she's going to do some more painting soon. Lucky us!

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012
Here she is explaining how a longarm machine works to a very interested couple. It's great to see people truly fascinated by the art and process of quilting!

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012 Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012
The front and equally awesome back of Krista's free-pieced bee quilt

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012
This is K3's corner! Both of these beautiful quilts were pieced by K3 and quilted by K2.

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012
Here's Lynne's pretty block all quilted by Krista in another bee quilt.

And finally another shot of Krista (her husband Mike on the left) and some friends enjoying the show! Can I just add how awesome Mike is? He even complimented my camera bag with a "Did you make that bag? Nice Echino!" Melt.

Krista Withers Longarm Show - Island Quilter 2012

It was now 9:00 p.m. and we'd still not eaten dinner, so Mom and I joined Sandie and Keli at The Hardware Store for a delicious meal served up lickity split so that we could catch the 9:50 p.m. ferry back to west Seattle.

The fun continued the next morning...but that's another post. If you find yourself in Seattle sometime during October, please make the gorgeous trip to Vashon to see Krista's exhibit and shop with Anya at Island Quilter. You won't be sorry! Almost all of her quilting cottons are only $10/yd and her selection is incredible, including all Westminster prints, shots and a ton of modern designer fabric and home-dec weight.

There are more photos from Krista's show in my flickr stream. Just click on any of the pictures here to take you there! 


29 comments:

Kristan said...

Wow, sounds like an awesome time!

Krista Withers said...

Awww! Thanks for such a sweet post!! I'm blushing! Thanks for making the trip K1. I'm such a lucky girl to have such amazing people like you in my life!

arajane said...

such a fun trip! i love la conner and love eating at the calico cupboard when i go there, too. and so sorry i didn't get to see you this time around. hopefully next time!

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Very jealous, what an awesome day. So amazing you have all this (somewhat) near you.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh it looks like an awesome trip!!! One day I will make it to that side of the big pond x

Jenelle said...

I'm glad you had such a good time (and that the nice weather held out). I'll have to head over to Vashon soon and catch the show. :)

Katy Cameron said...

Looks like a fabulous trip :o)

Katie said...

How fun! I really want to head over to Vashon Island, I've heard so many great things about Island quilter.

Is your Blaine po box reasonably priced? I've started thinking that would be a pretty good idea. I wanted to order some clothes for Macy but shipping was $20 and they also wanted $40 duty!

Heather D. said...

Going to Seattle on Sunday, sadly no time for sight seeing though. Sounds like you had an amazing time and it's fun to see some of those awesome quilts.

Michelle said...

Prettiest quilting post of the day! I love all those quilts - what a treat to see! Thank you.

Kristie said...

This sounds so incredible! What a post full of eye candy!

Katie B said...

Her quilts are fantastic! Sounds like a great trip.

Nicole said...

What a fun trip – I wish I could easily do the same one.

You mentioned pickups in Blaine; have you ever heard of Pt. Roberts? It's on the other side of Tsawwassen, so depending on where you live in Vancouver it might actually be easier to get to or closer. Check it out – I used to use The Letter Carrier. http://www.thelettercarrier.com

What Comes Next? said...

Road trip! and what a marvelous one you and your mother had!

Little Island Quilting said...

Did you see mine?! Am dying to see it in person!

dutchcomfort said...

It must be wonderful to make such a trip together with your Mother! I’m so in love with K2’s quilts and longarm quilting and I love to see her paintings as well. Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Oh boy, it sounds like a great trip and to top it all off by such a fantastic show (I bet it's awesome to see these quilts in person) - looks like you had great fun.....

Janet Clare said...

that sounds like a heavenly trip!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a great trip! The quilts are stunning in those pictures and that hexagon flower one is stunning...what a great use for the humble hexagon :o)

Elsa said...

Oh my gosh ~ Krista does incredible quilting and that Frankenquilt is too wonderful ~ thanks so much for sharing your trip with your Mom!

paulette said...

WOW!! What an incredible trip!! Thanks for taking us along!! That hexagon quilt blew me away!! Amazing! A true artist!
P

Dianne said...

Great post Krista, pictures as always are gorgeous! It was so nice to join you and your mom for lunch in LaConner. The show was nice but the best part of the day was time with friends.
Krista's hexie frankequilt is amazing! So glad her show was a success and how nice of you and K3 to arrange a bouquet of flowers to mark her special day. You are a good friend! She is obviously happy with the opening judging by her smile - beautiful!

Lise-Lotte said...

Wow! I loved these photos of these quilts- they are fabulous!
So great that you and your Mom did this fun trip
Lise-Lotte

Unknown said...

Seems like you're having a fine road trip with your mom. Is she into quilting as much as you are?

Unknown said...

Oh if I was in the area I would most definitely attend the show! These quilts are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

How I miss Seattle (you know I used to live there, right?) I would LOVE to go to Krista's show! Following the progress of that quilt in IG HAS been amazing. I hope someday she will agree to do some quilting for me! How fun to share this with your mother. *sigh* I love Pioneer Square. And ferries. And Seattle in general...

rstogether said...

Jealous!! Looks like an amazing show. Hope you and your mom had/have a great time in the U.S. of A.

MulticoloredPieces said...

What a great trip and you've shown us some beautiful quilts. I particularly like the big hexagon one. Thanks for sharing.
best, nadia

Andrea C said...

Wow! What a great trip. K2's quilting is amazing!! I wish I had time to read this blog before Saturday. I would have pumped you for more info...and pictures!