Thursday, February 2, 2012

Using my Noggin'

That's what I did! When Kristie posted photos of herself sporting a cute cable-knit hat last month, I proposed a swap so that I could have one, too!  I've mentioned before what an expert knitter my Mom is, but I'm constantly asking her to knit me stuff. It's time to share the love and let others have the joy of creating beautiful knitwear for me, hehe.

My new hat from Kristie at OCD
Like my new hat?

How come everyone is so much faster than I am?! My hat arrived earlier this week. Damn that mother of 3, part time professional for being so gosh darn efficient with her time.  Although we both pledged to keep our little swap totally low key, I don't like things to drag out too long for fear of getting a reputation. As in "oh, she roped you into a private swap, too, eh? Have you also been waiting 3 months for her to pony up?"

Armrest Pincushion Caddy by Poppyprint

I offered Kristie a threadcatcher, since I can pretty much make those things in my sleep, but she already has one. She suggested an armchair pin cushion/caddy made with Amy's tutorial.  She also said that she likes blue and green and when I prompted further, I found out that her stash is Echino-less. Well, that's just not on!

Armrest Pincushion Caddy by Poppyprint

I was more than happy to try out a new pin cushion idea and will make one of these for myself soon, too. A threadcatcher is perfect beside your machine, but this handy unit is what you need beside you on the couch! Amy's tutorial is super easy to follow with great photos and I made it even easier by not using pieced pockets, and simply topstitching the pocket tops instead of binding them.  I also topstitched a couple of sections to one pocket to hold scissors, a ripper and a spool of thread. After posting a pic on Instagram last night, I got the inevitable question: Where does the beer go?  Ah, the answer to that is NO WHERE near my Echino!

Armrest Pincushion Caddy by Poppyprint

I busted out the Auriful 12 wt for some bold quilting lines again, after loving the look on my pear potholders. Kristie and her family are currently sunning their buns and likely sporting mouse ears in Florida.  Hopefully this will be waiting for her when she arrives home.  

Armrest Pincushion Caddy by Poppyprint

Thanks for a fun swap, Kristie!

35 comments:

dutch sisters said...

What a perfect swap! I love the presents you made for each other.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Cute! I have been wanting to try Amy's pattern. And your knitted hat is so cute (so are you, BTW).

felicity said...

I gotta make me one of those. I've had that tutorial bookmarked/pinned for aaaages. What did you use in the bobbin when you quilted with the 12 wt. thread?

Amy Friend said...

I love that you roped in a knitter just as I did...works great doesn't it? I'm glad you had fun with the pincushion. I like sewing on the couch :)

Unknown said...

man that is pretty. you sure have an eye for fabric, Krista.

that hat. it's DARN nice!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

that hat is so cute! (as is your pincushion armchair cover)... I wanna learn to knit!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

That is super cute! May have it add it to my monsterous sewing list!

Dianne said...

TFA(too flippin adorable)Krista! Both the hat and the pin cushion for the couch. Lookin forward to you sportin' that knitted hat on Mayne during a windy walk by the water!!!

Christine M said...

Great armchair caddy. They are so useful. Love the fabrics you used.

CitricSugar said...

Cute and cute! That's a pretty nice trade...

chris said...

Love the hat...and appreciate the link to the armchair pincushion. I may have to make one of those for my daughter and I to share. :)

Angela said...

Both are super cute! I need one of those arm chair pincushions myself. One of these days I'll have to make one.

Lise-Lotte said...

I want to practice my cable knit, this would be a great project AND I LOVE the fabric and your project, I would like to make one...
Lise-Lotte

Susan said...

Amazing! So pretty and practical at the same time!

Krista said...

Yep, so smart to swap with a knitter! If I could get my act together and sew more, I'd try to do the same.

Your armchair pincushion looks great! I love the combo of fabrics. And I know she'll love it-- I use the one I have from Amy all the time.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Cute hat - I'll need one today, it's going to be winter AT LAST!!
Love the armrest caddy - I can imagine a dolly sat on that, feet in the pockets riding her 'horse'!

dutchcomfort said...

Very cute hat! I’ve also knitted for non-knitting bloggers. It’s fun to help out and get something fun in return! Love the selection of fabrics for the pincushion!

verykerryberry said...

Nice swap there Krista, love the button on your hat, and armrest is gorgeous, looks immaculately made too!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Like it very much indeed! Today is a great hat day here, -6 Cs and it has been snowing all night. I love hat&snow days!

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

such gorgeousness in this post and the last! Tis very cold here in Italy, in fact there has been a cold snap right across central Europe; not what you want to hear. I'm sure it will be over quick smart so no need to bring your new hat.

Barb said...

What a great swap! The hat is perfect, I love the big button. But doesn't it always rain where you live??? And I love your Echino armrest pincusion. Lovely.

Elsa said...

Love to do swaps and I NEED one of these armchair pin cushion caddy things! Thanks for the link to the tutorial ~ you two made out with this swap!

Chelsea said...

Oh, sweet, thank you for the link to the armrest pin cushion! I have the really awful habit of just using the armchair as a pincushion then leaning on my needles. I'm so stitching one of these up this weekend.

pinsandneedles said...

This is just so cute! Thanks for sharing!

Holly said...

Your new hat looks great! Looks like it was a successful swap on both sides. What a nice parcel she'll have waiting for her when she gets home from vacation!

Little Island Quilting said...

I got one of Kristie's hats too but managed to secure mine by developing an annoying cough each time she posted about them!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

The hat is fantastic and I love the thread catcher too. Win win!

Katy Cameron said...

Fab swap all round!

Anonymous said...

Need to make one so I always know where I left my needle when I go to rethread it!

Kristie said...

Just finally sitting down to catch up with my blogging buddies after my trip :) The hat looks so cute on you, Krista! So glad you like it. I LOVE my gift, and the quilting on it really packs a punch, I was wondering what it was that you used :) Now I just have to get my twin sized quilt top done for my daughter, I am THINKING I may hand quilt that one......will see!
Enjoy your retreat!

✿ Inmaculada ✿ said...

Nos encanta tus ideas desde hoy te seguiremos atentamente enhorabuena
Saludos de las hermanas KukiMuki

Unknown said...

I really love this. I need this by me. I hate to ask, but can you show your pattern for the thread catcher?

KeyQuilter said...

I'll check out the link you provided. I like that this looks "stiff" or...it has some body to it!

anne conover said...

Where is the pattern? Link is not working.

Poppyprint said...

Hi Anne - hopefully you will check back here because unfortunately I cannot reply to your comment. The link to Amy's tutorial does work. If for some reason it is not linking from your computer, simply google "duringquiettime armrest pin cushion" and that should get you there - Krista