Once in a while, I like to celebrate the snowflake's sublime symmetry. Yesterday, when I realized my guild's ornament swap was happening tonight, it was panic stations around here for a few minutes before I clued into my new GO!Baby die: the hexagons! A 6-armed snowflake would fit perfectly onto a hexagon background. You know, sometimes that university degree comes in so handy.
I googled "snowflake template" and perused many a flake before deciding on this one (chosen for supposed ease of negotiating small spaces with a machine blanket stitch). Please do not examine all those points too closely, my blanket stitch did run amok in spots. I fused the flakes (using Transweb) onto the hand dyed wool 4" hexagons that were beautifully cut on my GO!Baby. I put one layer of wool at a time through the cutter and the hexagons were cut accurately and cleanly.
Both sides are identical and the ornament hangs from a 1/8" satin ribbon loop. I hand stitched the two hexies together with perle cotton and lightly stuffed with fiberfill. Then I secured matching buttons to each other through the middle to gently squeeze the snowflakes, giving them some added roundness. Swap-ready in one hour! Love that.