Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's never too early

....for Christmas gifts. But if this is pushing your envelope, I apologize. Avert your eyes and come back to this post in 6 weeks, or so.

Oh Joyful Christmas tree skirt

This sweet tree skirt was designed by Carol - she calls the pattern"Oh Joyful" Tree Skirt, and it was a joy to make, actually. When I asked Carol's permission to teach it as a workshop for my guild she was very happy (and even said she'd kiss me, so if I'm ever in Wisconson, pucker up pal!).

poppyprint fabric in tree skirt

Along with the patterns, Carol generously shared some strips of her nice bright reds and clear greens with me because they were difficult to find in the LQS's in June when I was collecting for this project. I was really excited to put a piece of my poppy-printed fabric in there, too. I pieced the entire top in two afternoons at the cottage this summer - it went together really fast and easy.

tree skirt ties

The only modification I made to the pattern was to make an extra 40" of bias binding (in the workshop, I'll teach the continuous bias binding "barrel" technique). I used this extra length to make two sets of ties that were attached with the binding.

fav tree
This is my favourite tree - that wee bit of pink is so cute!

Applying the binding is a little tricky, but totally achievable with care. The scallops are rather pronounced, so you've got to make sure there is enough bulk to your binding on those inside corners so that it will pleat nicely and wrap around the the back.

inside corner tree skirt

Here's how I did it while attaching the binding by machine to the front of the quilt: about an inch from the inside corner, where two skirt sections were seamed together, I stopped with my needle down. I then folded the binding and made a crease in it exactly on top of the tree skirt seam. Then, 1/4" in from the raw edge of the binding, I made a dot with a pencil on the binding. When my needle reached that dot (in other words, it is now right on the tree skirt seam, 1/4" in from the corner), I stopped again with my needle down, lifted the presser foot and pivoted the whole works, gently coaxing the binding towards me so that it now lays along the new scalloped edge. I'm not sure if I've explained this clearly enough, but if you do make this pattern, or another one with a pronounced scallop, let me know and I will happily help you through it!

My tree skirt is not quite complete yet. I've ordered beautiful star-shaped ceramic buttons from an artisan here in B.C. They will look perfect atop every tree! Then, that will be one Christmas gift done (my sister already knows it's coming to her family....I asked if she liked it first, before I started!).

Have you started making holiday gifts yet?

25 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Great tree skirt! Is this your pattern? Love it!

Christmas gifts, well, I’m working on a sampler quilt for my LQS so I’m totally into Christmas! I need to make some gifts for swaps, but can’t figure out what to make. Some things nice, not too big, not too time absorbing. I always love the anticipation fun of the Holiday Season!

carol said...

Awesome! And your stipple quilting is divine!! Smooches from Wisconsin!

Krista said...

It turned out so great! That Carol is something else, making a pattern like this. Thanks for the tip on the binding. I've had a tree skirt on my list of to-dos for years now.

But Christmas gifts? Are you kidding? Well, I'm brainstorming. Traveling family women are getting cloth shoe bags and lavender sachets. I'm planning a quilt for my BIL and SIL. I was thinking a table runner for my grandma. And of course, some mug rugs and more sachets for teachers.

Amy Friend said...

It came out so well! I can't wait to see these buttons you ordered. I bet they will be the perfect touch. I just love this pattern that Carol made and appreciate your tips for the scallops in case I ever make it or something like it. What a beautiful gift!

Dianne said...

If you are looking to expand your family circle I am totally open to the idea of adoption...expecially if you give this kind of gifts!!! So jealous of your sister. When the stars are added this sweetie will really rock the Christmas tree. :-) Great tips for the binding as well.

Anonymous said...

That is the nicest tree skirt I have EVER seen, I really do love it. Do you sell any of your projects? as some of the things you make I absolutely adore x

Quilthaze said...

This is stunning! I love the beautiful colours in the stripes and you've done a wonderful job on that binding. I must look up the pattern!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Um. Love. Love the pink. Love the trees, love the fabrics together. Love LOve lOVE!

Angie said...

That is the most adorable tree skirt!! I love it! And those fabrics are perfect!

paulette said...

I LOVE everything about this project!! The fabric is just singing "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree"...oh wait...that's me belting it out!! Great!..now it's stuck in my brain!!
Take care!
Paulette

Regina said...

I love that tree skirt. I'm all about fall and Christmas projects right now. Is she selling the pattern for it? I'd really like to make it.

Misty said...

Wow, gorgeous tree skirt! Good job getting your gifts done early!

Even though I quilt, I think all of my gifts will be knitted or crocheted this year. I've been working for months on a scarf and some crocheted snowflakes. I've also made a few crochet toys which are super fun.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

wow! a glorious tree skirt I must say!

retdairyqueen said...

What a gorgeous tree skirt
I have to make a tree skirt one day I do like yours a lot

KarrieLyne said...

That is a seriously cute tree skirt!!! Great tips on the binding too!

Tiffany said...

That is gorgeous! I find the shape of this tree skirt very unique and appealing! Would like to make it...someday!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

Beautiful Krista! I want to make this fun one! I'm trying to get all my Christmas projects done now... thanks for the explanation notes.

What Comes Next? said...

It looks beautiful Krista! I must get me that pattern from Carol - every time I see a picture of that tree skirt, I want it! Can't wait to see the button stars.
Christmas? Nope not started yet!

Holly said...

That's gorgeous, Krista! I've been looking for great tree skirts and Carol's version of this skirt definitely caught my eye. That's so cool that you used your own poppy-printed fabric in there!

quiltercaroline said...

HI. I think this tree skirt is absolutely gorgeous. Will be looking into getting the pattern. I don't think it is too early to start Christmas sewing - I have decided to make all my gifts this year so have started early. One quilt is nearly pieced and two more planned and lots of smaller projects in the mix.

Катаринка said...

Ох ! Какая красота ! Сколько труда !

Karen said...

I read on Paulette's blog that she is meeting up with you at a quilt show. Thought I would pop over and see who you are.
This is an adorable tree skirt. Very fresh & modern looking.

Kristen said...

Nice binding and the colors are perfect!

Unknown said...

Any idea on where I can find this pattern? It's been a number of years since this has been posted...

Poppyprint said...

I'm not sure if you're checking back in about this pattern. I can't reply to you since you are a "no reply" blogger. Unfortunately, the author of this pattern, Carol Churznik passed away earlier this year. I couldn't tell you where this pattern is available as I got mine directly from her. You might try googling the title "Oh Joyful Treeskirt" to see if it comes up on any quilt shop listings.