Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Does your Mug have a Rug?

Mug Rug? Mug Matt? Oversized coaster fit for a latte AND a donut?

Whatever you call it, mug rug fever has taken over Flickr. A whole bunch (I'm talking 185 members!) of the doll quilt swappers jumped on the bandwagon and production is taking place at a furious pace for the Scrappy Mug Rug Swap! I think about 10 new ones were posted onto the photo pool yesterday alone and we only received our partner info on Saturday.

So, without delay, I give you my first ever mug rug:

Poppyprint - mugrug pears2

My partner is a secret, but in her sign up email she kindly gave me tons of great info to go on. When I was reading her fabric 'likes', I was imagining my stash and thinking "got it, got it, got it, need it, got it, want it, got it." Creating a mug rug for her was fun and easy....I think our Swap Mama (she's the volunteer who partners everyone up behind the scenes) did a wonderful job in choosing this partner for me.

Here are the details.

Poppyprint - mugrug pears 3

First I fused a medium weight stabilizer to the back of the pewter Moda Crossweave background piece. Then the pear fabrics were appliqued on using Lite Steam-a-Seam II (which I love) and I sandwiched the works with a cotton batting and backing, basting all 3 layers with 505 spray adhesive. I quilted the raw edges of the applique pieces with my regular sewing foot and Pfaff IDT (built-in walking foot) engaged. So, not free-motion stitched. I find with gentle curves like this I can easily manoevre around and get a neater stitched line this way.

Poppyprint - mugrug pears

For the embroidery, I drew a line with a Clover wax pen and followed it with a chain stitch in 3 strands of DMC floss just through the top and batting layers. Then with a contrasting colour, I quilted a running stitch through all of the chain links (so this stitch does go through to the back). Applied binding and there you have it. Mug Rug #1 (of many, I'm sure!).

Check out the Flickr pool, you won't believe how creative people can get in a 5" x 8" rectangle.

19 comments:

Krista said...

You know I love this! And thank you for sharing your process too-- applique is something that still sort of blows my mind. You did a fantastic job.

Mary said...

Love it! I'm sure your partner will absolutely love it too!

paulette said...

This is lovely...your swap partner will be thrilled! BUT it is far too nice for a sloppy mug to go on top....and god forbid a doughnut!! YIKES!!
Paulette

Amy Friend said...

You did such a great job on this. I am sure I am not your partner, but I would be thrilled to be! I also like to use my walking foot for soft curves like that. As you said, it gives a much neater stitched line. Your embroidery skills are just amazing. I wish you were closer and could give me pointers!

Unknown said...

so pretty, or should i say pear-ty? tee hee :)

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

They look good enough to eat, Krista!!

Катаринка said...

ОООООО!!!!!!
Очень ярко и аптемистично!!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVVVVVE IT! It is fantastic, absolutely gorgeous. The fabrics are delicious ;)

pinksuedeshoe said...

OH. MY. GOSH. !!! I am dying over here, this is abosultely beautiful!!! You know I have a large spot in my heart for Farmer's Market, but I don't know that I've told you that I am also the biggest pear fanatic on the planet. This is absolutely AMAZING! Like seriously, I could keep gushing... but I'll contain myself. It is so dang cute! Ok, one more squeal... Aaakkkk!!!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

this is inspiring and oh so creative.

:)

It won't be for me, but I think my partner's mug rug just got a little better because I saw this. :)

(And PS. Corey -- Little Miss Shabby -- joined our Bee for next year! yahoo!)

Unknown said...

Wow, I love it!! Bright and beautiful. Your partner is going to love it too. The dark background and the colorful stitching really set it off.

Kate said...

Wow! I love it!

carol said...

And you forgot the best thing of all.......this gorgeous rug made EXPLORE....quite an honor, I'd say! Congratulations! Now, keep it up and while you're at it, you can make me one! (it's gotta go with my red dotted mug though. LOL)

Tiffany said...

Your mug rug is very hip! I love it. The binding fabric you used, is the one I've been meaning to ask about. Can you share with me what collection that is from?

Your embroidery is spot on, and I think that dreamy pewter fabric makes the pears just "pop".

badlandsquilts said...

I love the hand stitching detail!

Rene' said...

Love your mug rug! (I just discovered the Flickr group today.) Those pears are awesome. Your embroidery is a perfect touch. I'm sure your partner will be thrilled!

Heleen said...

What a lovely mug rug!! great idea for a swap too.

Anonymous said...

Oh your partner is soooo lucky! I adore your mug rug :)

trish said...

In my best whiny voice...I LOVE YOUR MUG RUG! I WANNA MUG RUG!! I WANNA MUG RUG! LOL! Serious, you selling these? I would love one...super cute! I'm always sitting with my mug next to my computer and setting it on this and that but I'd love to set my Chai on that mug rug of yours! Well done!