Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Parade Watching....

Every July 1st we attend the North Vancouver community parade. It is very much a low-key community event and pretty much anyone can get a spot in the parade. My favourite part is the RCMP motorcycle drill team...sadly this year on the wet roads one of the members slipped on a tight turn and his bike went out from under him. No injuries, but that meant by the time they got to our 'spot' (we sit in the same place every year, that way friends know where to find us!), they just drove by instead of performing their speed drills. Bummer!

We were all decked out. My mom always sends the kids some fun dress-up stuff. Check T out in his full Canada day regalia:

IMG_7736

D and my niece looked so cute together in their fancy hair-doos that my sister did:

IMG_7735

Of course I wore my fabulous red shoes (which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!)

IMG_7737

There were two parade entries that made me smile widely. Look at this fantastic clown! Not everyone can pull off a crenoline hat - her costume was extraordinary!

IMG_7742

...and this sweet granny. I'm not exactly sure why she was in the parade, but she was lovin' it!

Canada Day parade granny

There are an abundance of dance school groups every year, but these are my favourite costumes for a character dance.

IMG_7746

The weather was sort of sprinkly rain and rather cold (last year we roasted!), but still loads of fun. We capped off the day with fireworks that are lit from a barge off the seawall in West Vancouver late at night. Considering my nieces were operating on eastern time (4 hours ahead of us), they did very well and even wielded their sparklers with enthusiasm at 11 pm!

And so, another Canada Day.


11 comments:

Angie said...

Where did you get those shoes?!

Holly said...

Great shoes, Krista!

felicity said...

Ha ha three comments, all about the shoes. Are they Fluevogs? Love them.

LJ said...

Oh look! The Pope! Oh wait. That's an old lady on a scooter. My bad.

Dianne said...

I'm Lovin Tates hair!!!

Krista said...

Wow, your daughter and niece look like twins! Looks like a fun parade. Except for that evil clown (shudder).

Ditto on those awesome shoes!

carol said...

Cool shoes, babe! Seems everyone thinks so too!

Tiffany said...

I'm lovin' all the headgear, and the footwear! I had to really look at that clown for a minute to even find her face in all that costume, how funny. I agree with Krista, the girls really do look like twins - that's so special.

Lucie said...

The girls do look like twins. And I love the shoes too.
I discovered your blog through your quilts which I think are fabulous.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

their fancy hair is so cute! (Look out for these 2 when they get older)...

love the shoes.
And the clown.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Love the shoes. Love that they are MaryJanes. LOVE that granny! Sp- the girlies are adorable, my mom used to braid my hair like that when I was younger.