Saturday, October 20, 2012

Put a Lid On!

At the moment I'm fueling up for a day retreat that starts in an hour. A delicious latte by my side, I thought I'd write a quick post and show you the custom iPad cover I made for my mom while my parents were visiting.

Custom iPad case by Poppyprint

Using Penny and Kerry's sweet Latte to Go foundation/paper piecing pattern from Sew-Ichigo, I made the take out cup block a few weeks ago. I just love how perfect Berene's 'Say What?' text fabric is for the lid! You can find that fabric in her Spoonflower shop.  Berene cleverly spaced all of the fun sayings 1/2" apart so that they can be fussy cut and used for piecing into projects like this one without losing any of the text!

Custom iPad case by Poppyprint

For the first time I tried a new "all-in-one" Velcro that has hooks and eyes all on one strip. Way less scratchy and it was much easier to sew on by machine.  The surrounding fabric is a lovely chambray that I'm also going to use in a new bag I'm assembling today.

Custom iPad case by Poppyprint

Mom loves her lattes and she's pretty smitten with her new iPad cover, too.  I had to make it larger than most tutorials as she's got a protective case that takes her iPad up to a full 8" x 10". You can find tutorials on Faith's and Amber's blogs...I just sort of adapted ideas they both had to suit my pre-made block and the size I needed. The outer fabric is interfaced with a fusible pellon poly batting.

20 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Lucky mum!
Have a great day x

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

I was admiring this when I saw it on Flickr. It looks fantastic!

Heather D. said...

Very sweet case. Love it. Have an awesome day Krista. At the moment the sun is shining on us here on the island. :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Lucky mama....it's adorable Krista!

Unknown said...

Very nice! A great way to combine both things she enjoys :) Have a wonderful time at you retreat!

Kathy P said...

I've never seen that type of velcro before. Where do you buy it? Love the lining fabric on the iPad cover!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

I love this! Extra daughter points for you...
Have fun at your sewing day!

**nicke... said...

you are going to be her favorite for forever! such a cute cover! xo have a wonderful day!

Isisjem said...

Nicely done. No wonder your Mum loves it.

Kristie said...

This is crazy cute, Krista. Love the lining fabric, too!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I love this sooooooo much.

CitricSugar said...

Krista, that's awesome! I particularly like how the latte cup looks like it's wearing a handmade, buttoned up, cup sleeve. It's an homage to handmade in something handmade. So meta! LOL.

Leanne said...

It is wonderful, lucky mom!

felicity said...

Perfect!!! I so wish I were sewing with you all today.

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Another retreat? Seriously, how do you find the time to sew such awesome pieced blocks when you go to so many retreats? Your parents will probably see you three times the whole time they're at your house! (I'm insanely jealous of your retreats BTW).

Kaelin said...

Too cute! My mom would have loved the irony of getting something like that from me as a teenager, since i was always sassing her, lol ;)

Dianne said...

awesome cover Krista no surprise that S loved it!

Danielle said...

Wow! So cool, I love it!

Live a Colorful Life said...

this is so perfect. I already purchased a bunch of fabric from Berene--wow, she is amazing. So my next question: where did you get the grey, and the lining, and the Velcro?

Anonymous said...

Always impressed with what you do with my fabric. It makes the whole design process so worthwhile. Awesome job! Lucky Mumsy.