Monday, October 15, 2012

Blocks for October

The Vancouver MQG held a Friday night sew-in last Friday and I took the opportunity to sew with Agatha  for the evening. Agatha is my trusty Singer Featherweight that belonged to my late MIL and was generously given to me by my SIL. I just love piecing with this little machine.

Free piecing with Agatha

Tonight, the VMQG will hold it's annual Hallowe'en block draw.  Guild members can bring as many blocks as they like (blocks must have a finished dimension of  6" or multiples of 6"). You get one entry for every block you put into the draw and if your name is drawn you get to choose a number of blocks to take home. Last year I made 6 blocks and came home empty-handed. This year I've made three 12 1/2" blocks, but I won't be able to attend tonight so I'm sending my blocks with Berene and counting on her good luck to bring a set back to me!

free pieced pumpkin block by Poppyprint

free pieced pumpkin block by Poppyprint

I free-pieced both of these pumpkin blocks with scraps from my orange box. I love free-piecing because you never know what the end result will look like until you get there.  I'll also send along a duplicate of this Great Granny Block that I made for Cindy in the Stash Trad Bee this month.

Granny Says Boo! for Cindy

Have you got any spooky stitching going on for Hallowe'en? I've always wanted to have a Hallowe'en quilt, but never made one. Maybe this'll be my lucky year for a set of blocks to get me started!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

What great blocks, and the fabrics really set them off perfectly

dutchcomfort said...

Such fun blocks!

Unknown said...

Wow..what a grat blogg! Such colourful great blocks!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Woooo-ooooo-ooooo! Hope you get some blocks this time x

Dianne said...

Great blocks Krista. Good Luck tonight!!!

Leanne said...

Those pumpkins are great, good luck, maybe you will get all the blocks.

Unknown said...

Oh what fun blocks! These are going to be a hit at guild!!!

**nicke... said...

I love your great-grannie Krista! What a fun swap!

Cynthia F said...

Ooooh love your blocks Krista!!

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

Totally in love with these pumpkins!

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Great blocks for this holiday. I especially like the pumpkins.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute blocks and great machine! I'm making blocks for the Wicked blog hop next week. My day is Wednesday. Check my blog that day to see what I've been working on. I've made all my blocks on a 1959 Singer Spartan hand crank.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I just LOVE the block you made. Your other blocks are so cool too. But I'm just thrilled with having a block made by you!