Sunday, January 24, 2010

Time's a wastin'

Isn't this just the BEST card? I absolutely love these cards designed by Leigh Standley of Curly Girl Design. (in the fine print, down in the right corner, it says "she most heartily enjoyed pursuing life" and the labels on the top storage boxes read: dreams: adventure: hopes). I've been absent for a week and not because I've been wasting time, really, just using it up on things that are not really post-worthy. Like hemming new jeans (successful use of 'hump-jumper' over the thick seams! Hurrah!), putting my new vacuum through it's paces, doing piles of laundry, taxi-ing kids to activities and attending meetings.

Most importantly, and most entertaining, has been my obsessive monitoring & participation of the DQS8 Flickr pool. I have to work very hard to make sure this doesn't become a massive time sink! The quality of work coming out of this group of quilters is incredible and I am really in awe of the original ideas, beautiful colours and just plain fun that everyone is having. I've met some great new online friends, too! I have done some work on my partner's quilt using my own drawing as a template for an applique. The peanut gallery (B, T, D, sister in law, Gathered Threads) have all heartily approved of my design, so now I just need to get on with it. Here's a wee peek ~

DQS8 teaser

On Friday, the Gathered Threads were over for our regular morning stitch followed by lunch, a visit a rug-hooking show AND turbo shopping at local stitchery shop Dick & Jane in West Vancouver. It was lovely to have one of our "Snowbirds"* back home for a few days...Barbara returned from rainy California and was able to join us. Sharon brought the most beautiful little wool project along to stitch - this is the outside of a needle case.

Sharon's needle case

Sharon does beautiful handwork - check out all of the sweet embellishments: beads, yarn couching, embroidery stitches....this is a pattern from the Oct.2009 American Patchwork & Quilting mag.

Sharon's needlecase detail 2 Sharon's needlecase detail 1 Sharon's needlecase detail 3
*for my Euro-visitors...are you familiar with the term Snowbirds? We use it when referring to Canadians who spend their winter months in the south...do you also have a word for people who flock to Spain, Portugal or Greece in wintertime?

3 comments:

Susan said...

I have a couple of words for people who are flocking to Greece or Spain or Portugal. Some of them are quite rude because I'm jealous, so I'll just say "LUCKY DAWGS!"

Oh, thanks for the bigger sneaky-peek of your doll quilt, Krista! It's really going to be special, I can tell. And original, I'm sure. I'm having a hard time staying away from the pool and discussions, too, it is addicting!

Vivian said...

what a great card! I have a couple of magnets by that same person, my favourite is..."I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." It's now my motto LOL.

Misty said...

Wow, these wool flowers are gorgeous! I'm enjoying looking through all of the lovely projects on your blog!