Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Mojito

Just popping in to share a proper photo of my newest little quilt, Mojito. I'm having such a fun time creating these little abstract improv quilts in preparation for my exciting new workshop Speed Date with Improv.   I took this little quilt out and about the other day during a rare couple of hours of dry weather.

Mojito by Poppyprint

It may be a small quilt (20" x 21 1/2"), but there are 7 different improv piecing techniques packed into it's making, plus the jigsaw puzzle piecing of the units together into a fun little composition using joining strips and leftover trimmings. Can you see all of the arrows? For me, the fun of the design wall work here is to find places where colours merge to create interesting shapes and add visual energy to the piece. I love the vessel shape created with the quarter circles in the upper right corner; it really reminds me of mid-century modern graphic design. The collage nature of this work really appeals to me. I'm really looking forward to debuting this class with the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild later this month.

We are into November, so that means my annual 5-day retreat to Loon Lake is upon us. Tomorrow I'm off to the woods with 27 other quilters to enjoy days of sewing, eating & laughter. Yippee!

9 comments:

Ariane said...

This little quilt is so cute!! There's so much to look at. Love it!!

Karen said...

Oh, this is one of those rare moments when I wish I lived on the West Coast--instead of Maine, USA--so that I could take your class. I am totally intrigued by how you made this amazing little quilt!

Debbie said...

Love this little quilt!

Jenny M said...

such an interesting quilt, with all those shapes!

JC in TX said...

I love this! Wish I lived close enough to take your class!! Can't stop looking for each different technique & how you used (morphed) it from one look to the next.

Unknown said...

absolutely gorgeous!

KaHolly said...

I just love it! Love, love, love! I wish I had your talent! Have fun at Loon Lake! ~karen

Sue said...

This is just GREAT!!! keeping the number of colours to 3 works for me. It's such an interesting piece i could look at it for hours

Elsa said...

Know this is a bit late ~ going though my email that I missed during the !@#$%^&* election.

Love this quilt ~ the colors are exceptional. I've been trying a little bit of improv ~ find it really difficult for my brain to process, tho I'm keeping at it. Would still love to take a class with you!