Temperature Check, shown at Canada's national juried show, 2014
When I first made this quilt a couple of years ago, I felt a little tingle of excitement, thinking that it could possibly be a door opener for me to start teaching my own technique and pattern, instead of teaching patterns designed by others (which I've been doing for 12 years). I could NEVER have predicted how far that little quilt would take me...and in the space of of the 12 months of 2015, I'll have visited and taught for all of these groups in some amazing places:
- Modern Quilt Guild of Victoria, Victoria, B.C. Canada
- Inuvik Quilters Guild, Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada
- Drygoods Design, Seattle, WA, USA
- Celebrity Infinity Alaska Cruise, Vancouver - Alaska - Vancouver
And still to come, all before the end of November (gasp!)
- Rikstacket Annual Meeting, Stockholm, Sweden - flying out tomorrow night!!!
- Private friends quilting group, Pitea, Sweden
- Changing Tides Quilt Shop, Juneau, Alaska
- Whistler Quilter's Guild, Whistler, B.C.
- Seymour Quilter's Guild, North Vancouver, B.C.
- Sunshine Coast Quilter's Guild, Sechelt, B.C.
- Boundary Bay Quilter's Guild, Ladner, B.C.
Plus, I'm still working hard to promote my book locally and have done 6 trunk shows this month, with a couple more scheduled in November. It has been wonderful having the support of all of the local traditional guilds, as well as my pals at the VMQG.
People keep asking me if I'm exhausted and I can truthfully say, no! It is all so exciting and because teaching fulfils me in so many ways, every workshop just gives me more energy for the next. I may spend the month of December (fully clear calendar) in a coma cuddled under a quilt on my couch, but for now it's go, go, GO. The best part truly, is meeting and spending time with so many wonderful, like-minded people. I love making new friends as much as I love travelling.
Speaking of which, if you live in the Lower Mainland area and haven't yet had a chance to take my Temperature Check class to learn a super fun improv piecing technique, you are invited to join me at the Seymour Quilter's Guild on Wednesday, October 14th from 9:30 - 3:30 on the North Shore. The cost is only $45 for non-guild members and there are a few spaces still available. I'll be fresh home from Sweden with stories to share about the Scandinavian quilting scene. Let me know in the comments if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with the workshop liaison (make sure you leave your email addy for me)
Some fabulous student work from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild's Temperature Check workshop last year.
Watch my Instagram for travel pictures from Sweden, or come back here in a couple of weeks for a photo essay of my trip. Because if you hang here, you know I like the travel pics ; )