- Two of the Gathered Threads (the name of our little Friday stitch group) came over this morning for a latte and some stitch time!
- I baked a Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Icing as my contribution to a family dinner party at a friend's house tonight. I made it gluten free by using Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour. Mmmmmm.
- There is a very auspicious number of Friendly Followers hanging out at Poppyprint these days! Did you know that 8 is a lucky number in Chinese culture? Vancouver has a large population of Chinese immigrants, mostly from Hong Kong, and local developers are very wise to that fact. There are several condo towers downtown that all seem to have multiple 8's as their street address! In fact, one tower went all out to entice buyers by designing their logo as three curving seahorses (a good luck animal, apparently) to form the 8's!
I was excited when I had 8 followers, thrilled with 88, but 888? That's just astonishing!! Thank you all so much for your support.
4. I actually managed to complete a challenge project several days before the deadline of the VMQG's November meeting. All guild members who were interested in participating received a hunk of Kona Modern Quilts (a fun fabric line designed by local uber-talented designer Cynthia Frenette and printed by Kaufman). We were allowed to add any Kona solids we wanted and could make whatever our little hearts desired. Incidently, Cynthia has a super sweet holiday bunting tutorial on her blog at the moment using a unique flag shape. Make it with your own fabric, or order her amazing Spoonflower panel!
I only had one fat quarter to work with...a light blue with primary coloured dots connected by a thin white grid line. Hmmmm, what to do.
Make a playmat for my nephew, that's what! The little guy will be turning two in the spring and his name starts with "I". After making stitch and flip corners on 5" squares of red, blue and yellow with the challenge fabric, I had a felicitous amount of each number that, when design-walled, formed a simultaneous letter "I" and roman numeral II. Yippee! I quilted it with a free motion triangular stiple. It's been ages since I FMQ'd and I must say my stitch length is totally random, but I know little "I" won't mind.
Not only was my challenge project complete with more than a week to spare, this birthday present is ready MONTHS in advance. That
hardly ever never, happens around here! Bonjour, je suis Queen of the Last Minute Club.
5. There is still time to enter my Poppyprint 500 giveaway! Just a little teaser before you all get numb bum on Monday surfing the Sew Mama Sew giveaway day blogs for 5 hours! Enter here. Followers, both new and experienced, get a second entry! Then you can come on back Monday for an entirely new giveaway.
Happy weekend friends!