Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Craft Hope for Haiti - Aprons!

I read about Craft Hope's latest initiative over at Maureen's lovely blog the other day.  When Craft Hope ran their first fundraiser on Etsy for Haiti, I donated a small art quilt. Turns out the purchaser was also a blogger. We exchanged emails and Duff became a lovely and HI-larious friend.  Since that time, I hadn't really kept up with Craft Hope (I understand their website is under reconstruction so they are operating on Facebook these days - probably why I'm out of the loop. I'm useless on fb).  I'm rambling.

The gist of this latest project is supply pretty aprons for women who are rebuilding their lives and homes in Haiti. Easy. Especially when Maureen has written a fantastic tutorial so that you can  make an apron in about an hour out of 4 fat quarters. Seriously! I made this one yesterday afternoon right after she posted the tute.

Apron Craft Hope for Haiti

In her post, Maureen suggested the over skirt pieces would be perfect for drying hands, so I ran with that and used linen for those pieces. A repurposed linen shirt of B's, actually. You can see I left the shirt tail hems in tact along the bottom.

Apron Craft Hope for Haiti
modeled by the lovely D

I had two pretty Amy Butler fat quarters for the centre panel and ties and used a pink/green print, who's origins completely escape me now, for the waistband.  Anybody recognize it? (eta - of course, it's from Heather Bailey's Freshcut. Thanks Katie!)

Apron Craft Hope for Haiti

Think you could whip up an apron and ship it to Tennessee by May 31st? If so, all the info you need is in this post.  While you're at it, why not make up a second one for your mom?  Mother's Day is next Sunday here in North America!

15 comments:

Katie said...

The jellybeans? It's from Heather Bailey's Freshcut :-)

felicity said...

Pretty!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Great idea, great apron x

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

I love it! THANK YOU!!

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, and great idea with the linen

dutch sisters said...

lovely apron!

Dianne said...

Lovely! A woman in haiti is going to feel more feminine and cared for thanks to you. Nice.

Leanne said...

It is lovely and I will see if I can manage one, it is a lovely plan.

Katie B said...

This is really sweet! I'm not on FB so I missed this announcement.

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Great idea for the linen, having a built in tea towel attached is very handy. A beautiful piece that will make someone in Haiti's days a lot brighter.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Very pretty and such a great idea!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I think the overskirt is a great idea! Pretty fabric choices.

CitricSugar said...

Thanks for sharing this! I was feeling like I needed to do a little goodwill sewing so this is perfect timing.

**nicke... said...

very cute krista! i saw maureens tute and want/need to make one!

♥Duff said...

Maureen is like non-stop crafting lady!
Your apron is darling--I might have to try one of these.
OH, thank you for the compliment; you left off NE-farious.