Monday, December 12, 2011

Bare Neck-ed No More!

Ok ladies, this post is a peek at the gifts you'll receive if you are a woman over 13 years old and related to me by birth or marriage. If you would like to keep your present a total surprise, I suggest you make a hasty exit. There are some colour options, so that bit you won't know until you open, and they are already wrapped and labelled, so no special requests! That means you SIL who loves 2 blocks from me (as opposed to the two who live a zillion miles away).
.
.
.
.
ok, last chance to bail!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Alright then. Thanks to Krista, who gave me the idea with her one-woman sweat shop production line at retreat, I came home with the plan to make lovely scarves for all the girls. Using my very own scarf purchased from Krista as a template (and with her encouragement), I got busy with some buttery soft AMH voile, Alexander Henry cotton lawn and a cozy Jo Ann's flannel in gorgeous colours. I used up every scrap of fabric I bought for my gifts, but if you would like to treat yourself or someone you know with a bare neck to a luscious scarf, Krista still has some available in her shop!

flannel & voile scarves

The scarves are a generous 70" long and 8" wide. I've been wearing mine daily (and sometimes just even around the house!).

flannel & voile scarves

I'm not going to give you a full length view in case of looky-loos, but I was so excited about (a) how these turned out and (b) that they are actually completed on time for shipping far away that I could not wait until after Christmas to show you (and by YOU, I mean women unrelated to me by birth or marriage). Because those you's are not reading this post, are you?

25 comments:

PinkGranny said...

I would love to see a picture of someone wearing this...it could be a last minute gift for my daughters. I have more than enough fabric they'd love in my overflowing stash. :) These look great! Thanks for sharing.

Kati said...

Love these! They turned out so pretty. I'm sure they are wonderful to wear.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I would love to be one of "those you's". They look beautiful--lucky recipients!

paulette said...

If you REALLY examine your family tree you will see that we are REALLY long lost cousins...haha...LOVE the scarves!
Cousin P

What Comes Next? said...

Paulette and me both! They look so lovely soft and warm - I can almost feel it against my neck hmmmm

Anonymous said...

Dear Krista, I am not really peeking. Just pretend I am not here. I hope I get the blue one. I really do like the pink one. And the orange one is nice too.

Love 2 block away SIL.

verykerryberry said...

They look so lovely all rolled up!

Heather D. said...

Lovely gifts!! You SIL is hilarious!

Krista Schneider said...

oooh, so much fun!

Marie said...

They're beautiful! Lucky girls!

One question: Did you prewash? Just curious if I'm going to make them with different fabrics if I should prewash so they'll shrink the same. Does that make sense? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dear Krista, I hope you pre-washed because what would happen if I was wearing my new scarf (not that I know I am getting a scarf) and it shrinks while it is around my neck and starts to choke me.

But then some handsome fireman will rescue me and we will fall in love and ...okay I hope you didn't pre-wash.

SIL

dutch sisters said...

Love these! love to see them as color rolls.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Didn't your parents ever tell you about me? :-D LOL Love the scarves~ you have a very lucky family!

Sigrun said...

They are really really nice! You have one lucky family ;D

Dianne said...

If that "anonymous" SIL of yours runs off with a fireman can I have her scarf?

Corrie said...

Dear Dianne, You cannot have my scarf! I will need to keep warm when I am riding at the back of the fire truck. Sven (fireman of Swedish heritage) will also probably need a scarf from Krista in fireman red!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Are you really sure we aren't related?

Katie B said...

I'm sure we're some kind of distant cousins...
These are gorgeous.

ayumills said...

Lucky lucky family of yours! All of these are loved by the recipients for sure!

Rachel said...

What lovely gifts. Lucky lucky women in your family!
Crazy expensive postage to mail across the country. I went to the PO this afternoon and was thoroughly ripped off by my friends at Canada Post. Over $50 for one parcel and some Christmas cards. Yikes! I might have to send lighter presents next year...like scarves!

Unknown said...

they look great all rolled up and piled in a pyramid like that too. lucky relatives!

trudys_person said...

I am sure they are all lovely, because all your work is! Can I be adopted?

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Oooh I'd love to see them unfurled once they've been given. I'd love to make some of these for myself (or become related to you by birth or marriage so I get one for Xmas)

Katy Cameron said...

Those look fab, I have a couple of those to whip up in the next week...

Kathy P said...

Gorgeous scarves, Krista. Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of "cotton lawn" or "voile". Can you enlighten me???