Friday, September 2, 2011

A Hoopy Remembrance

While luxuriating on my beach blanket over the past two weeks, I occasionally took my eyes off the view to focus on some embroidery. Remember the gorgeous logo I told you about here? Well, the clever designer Berene (who knows me too well) sent me a .pdf of the logo as a line drawing. You know, just in case I might want to stitch it out. Hello, what a great idea!!

So I did.

Team logo stitched by Poppyprint

I had some gorgeous handmade ceramic buttons from this talented artist stashed away in my sewing room. They were the perfect embellishment! The variegated blue and both pinks are #8 Finca perle cotton by Presencia and the gray and brown are 2 & 3 strands of DMC floss, respectively.

IMG_5331

I trimmed the excess linen, snipped the 1/2" allowance and glued it to the back inside of the hoop. Then I cut a piece of heavy interfacing (Timtex) and hot glued it to the hoop, covering the backside of the stitchery.

Team logo stitched by Poppyprint

I love my remembrance hoop! We spent almost a year raising that money, plus many cold and rainy Sunday mornings on training walks together, and ultimately 2 wonderful days of walking through Vancouver. That's worth remembering!


27 comments:

Rachel said...

That is so cool! What a beautiful job you did on the stitching. A great way to remember!

PinkGranny said...

I love it! Does she sell this pattern? I would enjoy making one for my pink survivor section in the sewing room!

Congratulations on your team's fundraising campaign. Extraordinary results.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Beautiful work Krista! I would also be interested to know if she sell this line drawing.

Jackie said...

A fabulous stitching project! It turned out beautifully and it is a terrific remembrance.

Amy said...

That's such a meaningful rememberance in so many ways...Congratulations again on the walk and all the money raised. The stitching is beautiful.

felicity said...

Fabulous in oh so many ways, Krista!

Patchwork and Play said...

A fabulous memento of a wonderful achievement! Beautiful stitching and I love the buttons too!

Kristy said...

Beautiful!

Berene said...

Hi Pink Granny & Mary
Thanks for admiring my work. The logo was a gift to my dear friend Krista because I was so proud of her. It is, therefore hers to share or sell. Maybe you could drop a few bucks in her fundraising pot for next year's walk? I do however sell a few embroidery patterns in my Etsy shop (Happysewluckyshop) swing by for a peek if you're in the mood.
I am open to commissions in exchange for modern handmade goodies or yummy baked things! :-)
Contact me to chat any time...
Berene

Katie B. said...

Holy smokes, this is awesome! Something to treasure for sure.

Krista said...

It's beautiful! Your stitching is so perfect, and what a great thing to remember your hard work. :)

paulette said...

What a lovely keepsake! Your stitching is incredible!!
P

myredbike said...

How amazing, Krista! Your stitching is lovely and this piece of art will be a wonderful reminder of a great accomplishment. Hurrah!

Kerry said...

Really beautiful Krista, you do turn a very regular stitch and so neat, a lovely way to remember and what a lot of money raised!

Flying Blind... said...

What a beautiful souvenir of a wonderful achievement; brilliant, perfect xxx

Christine M said...

I love it. That is a great souvenir.

nicolette said...

This is a wonderful keepsake of an event you will never forget!

Susan said...

This is beautiful, Krista! Congrats on a huge achievement!

carol said...

Gorgeous (as usual!!)

♥Duff said...

Fabu-lass, lass!

Needled Mom said...

That is awesome and you did a great job on it.

Kristie said...

Love every bit of this hoop and the story! Yay!

What Comes Next? said...

what a wonderful memory piece!

Rebecca Jane said...

Looks amazing Krista - your stitches are enviable.

Patti said...

Hi Krista. So wonderful to complete your journey with this beauty. A wonderful way to remember the event and your friends. Your stitching is absolutely perfect! Kudos to you.

ayumills said...

You had such a productive vacation, Krista! This is absolutely beautiful in every way. I love the perfect stitching, the whole idea, and the message on the back - so memorable!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I love this. So much. And everything that it stands for. You continue to inspire me, truly.