Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Poppy Pouch

It is summer swap season and I'm so happy that I've completed my first commitment 3 weeks early! Go, me! The Pretty Little Pouch Swap is a lot of fun and you cannot believe the incredible amount of inspiration in one flickr group. If you are at all interested in creating sewn pouches, check it out - everything from pencil cases to snap frame change purses, hoop pouches and little key fob cases to boxy cosmetic cases. Here are a few great project photos that I included in the inspiration mosaic for my partner.

Poppyprint's Pretty Little Pouch Picks - Round 2
click on the photo for links to each pic

I got a great secret partner for the swap and once I'd received her mosaic and sign up info, I was immediately inspired and got busy making this for her:

Poppy pouch by Poppyprint

I can't give too much away or it might become obvious who this is for, but I'll tell you that it's fully lined with a pretty Central Park laminate, the outside base is Moda Crossweave and the scraps are MoMo's It's a Hoot line. It's my first real laminate project. In order to keep the lining as useful as possible (i.e. continuously seamed laminate), I left the turning opening on the side seam of the outer bag, in lieu of the normal lining hole. I had to carefully stitch that up from the right side using a ladder stitch.

Poppy pouch interior

It's got a side handle and is a great size of about 8" x 9 1/2". It'll be perfect for cosmetics, or anything else requiring a bit of spill-resistance! The outer bag is quilted with insul-brite.....you know, in case something has to stay cool or warm.

Poppy pouch for PLPW#2

I spent last Sunday printing fabric with my poppy seed pods (stay tuned for poppyprint fabric on offer!) and took the opportunity to decorate the back of the pouch with some groovy prints.

Poppy Pouch back

I've made several zip pouches and I have to say that every single time, it's a total mystery as to how well the ends of the zip are going to turn out. I've read countless tutes on how to reduce zipper bulk, but I've got a long way to go perfecting this element of zippy pouch construction!

I think my partner will like it - I'm feelin' good about this swap!

If you're looking to stock your stash with some luscious hand-dyed fabric, scroll down for your chance in my birthday month giveaway #3!

21 comments:

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

You should be feeling good...it's gorgeous! It has been a great swap hasn't it?! I've really enjoyed everyone in it and now just waiting for what surprise lands on my doorstep...hope you get a beauty in return ;-)

Andrea C said...

Now how nice is that? Absolutely lovely. And can't wait to see more of your home made fabric!!

PinkGranny said...

What cute bags! Thanks for the inspiration.

Pétra said...

I've been in swap mode as well but have never done a pouch swap. They all are so inspiring and you have a lucky partner!

The AfterCraft said...

Oh wow someone is gonna be lucky lucky!!

Nova said...

gorgeous gorgeous pouch! why oh why didn't I sign up for this swap?!
x

Dianne said...

Fabulous Dahling!!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

That looks adorable! I'm sure the person who gets it will love it! How was the laminate? Does it glide through your sewing machine easily? I've not tried any of it yet!

Poppyprint said...

Bargain Babe - good question! NO the laminate does not glide anywhere! As long as you are sewing from the wrong side, you're fine because it is the same as sewing fabric. However, if you want to do topstitching you have to use a teflon foot (which I don't have) or put a sheet of tissue paper over your laminate (which I did). Otherwise, it just sticks to your presser foot and doesn't go anywhere! Also, holes are permanent, so unsewing isn't advised. TIP: You'll want to pin pieces together inside the seam allowances as well, so you don't defeat the purpose of using laminate by poking holes in it.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Totally wonderful! Your lucky flipping partner! And the poppyhead prints are so perfect, bravo x

Kelly said...

First of all, I can't believe I wasn't already following your blog! Total oversight! Secondly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pouch! Pretty please be mine! I don't say that for just any old pouch either, so you should feel special! :) ha ha!

paulette said...

Your partner is SEW lucky....she is going to be THRILLED!! The final touch..poppyprints...over the moom!!:o)
P

♥Duff said...

a-stinkin'-dorable!! I love seeing what you come up with--it's always fun yet well thought out. Love your fabric--how about some of that for the birthday grand finale?!

Alisa said...

I LOVE it! I wish I was your partner. (I'm not even in the swap, but that's something I'd love to do one day.)

Rachel said...

Love it love it love it... and your partner will too. And if she doesn't, well, you know that postage within Canada is cheap... hinthint ...hahaha. (You must be getting tired of that joke by now)

Totally Timmy said...

Just started sewing pouches and just found your blog.. Perfect timing for me. Beautiful Pouch!!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Oh wow that is just toooooo fabulous

**nicke... said...

super jeal of your partner. i am still sooo bummed i missed this round!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Lucky partner indeed!

Ariane said...

Oh! It's gorgeous!!! I love it!!!

Unknown said...

Flowers!!! Your appliquéed flowers on this one just make this little bag Krista, not to mention the poppyprints, what a sweet touch...