Saturday, April 2, 2011

Catching Up, Catching Threads

I am trying to complete my end of a few private swaps with friends in order to clear my TO DO list and move on to some projects for myself. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE swapping (as I think you know), but for some reason they tend to bunch up. I still owe a few things, but managed to complete these two the other day.

RSR Thread catchers

The one on the left is off to the UK to Katy while the one on the right is heading south to Terri. I took this pic before I filled the pin cushions with crushed glass.

Thread catcher for Mette

I've had a few requests for a pattern for these thread catchers. I don't officially have one. Originally I saw these at a sewing show booth and then came home and figured it out on my own. I've been making and selling them at quilt shows and to friends for several years, but because I copied someone else's design, I sort of feel funny about publishing instructions. I truly feel that I can only write tutorials for original projects that I make up myself. Hope you understand. If someone totally copied one of my designs and wrote instructions for it and gave them away online, I know how disappointed I'd be.

Sometimes I get fancy and piece the pin cushion top. Or insert ricrac around the seams, or embellish the hem with printed twill tape (like the measuring tape in the first photo).

Red Letter threadcatcher

Maybe these photos will give you enough information to design your own! I can share that to keep the bag mouth round, a strip of fibre glass packing tape is inserted in the hem. This is the stuff that comes wrapped around bales of newspapers or boxes of xerox paper. My friends often save them for me, so I have a lifetime supply! I've also been known to collect them from the street outside flower markets, or news stands (are you reading Michele? Look at me recycling!).

I fill my pin cushions with crushed glass or sterilized quartz sand (from a building/landscaping supply company). You need the weight to hold it on the table....using non-skid slipper fabric (with rubber dots) on the bottom side of the pin cushion helps, too. I bought my slipper fabric at a general sewing/fabric big box store.

To get you started, the bag and lining are made out of pieces cut 9" x 18", folded in 1/2 width wise and seamed once. The seam is then turned to the back of the tube and you sew across the bottom. Make a 1" gusset in each bottom corner and you have your bag and lining! Stuff lining into bag, fold down top to make the hem.

There you have it. My not-a-thread-catcher-tutorial.


17 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

thank you so much for "not" giving out the tutorial. I love these, what a great idea! I really appreciate the tips about what to fill the pin cushion with.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

I just love looking at everyone of these you make & the fabric combinations! Thanks for the ideas for pincushion fillers too!

PinkGranny said...

I like this! My first thought after thinking how cute was "I wonder what she stuffed the pincushion with." I think I can figure this out without the tutorial. I like that you labeled it a "not-a threds-catcher-tutorial" too. This will surely brighten up my sewing table!

Amy Friend said...

I really love your two latest with the measuring tape embellishment. They are perfect!

Dianne said...

I think that what truly makes your thread catchers special (cause let's face it there are a ton of patterns out there) is your fabirc selection and the little touches you add to take them to that extra special level. Lovely, Lovely, Lovely!!

dutchcomfort said...

They look all so fabulous. Your fabric choices are great!!!

dutch sisters said...

These are so cute! love the colors you used.

carol said...

You do such good work, my friend! Those thread catchers are darling. Good thing I already have one otherwise I'd be begging you to make me one too. LOL

paulette said...

I love my thread catcher!! I wondered what was inside to keep it sticking out!! Who knew?! Very clever of you!!
P

Bec said...

They are gorgeous Krista... Can you believe after all this time.. i havent actually been OFFICIALLY following you... Where has my head been!! Crazy i know! Hey i hope your working on a tut or the Quilt Class... xx Love Bec

Unknown said...

First off, awesome recycling of the plastic strips. You go!!!

Second off, beautiful thread-catchers. Love the measuring tape detail!

Third off, I totally agree with you regarding reproducing the tutorial/pattern and it bugs me when people do "their own version" of someone else's tutorial. I don't like it. It makes me want to say nasty words. Which I won't. Not here. Not on your lovely blog. So I am most most impressed with your restraint. Krista, you are a good person!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Really, crushed glass? The packing tape is genius!

Abbybeth said...

Thank you! I totally appreciate your point of view on the tutorial - and also really thank you for what you did share that you worked out on your own. I think that gives me enough of a base to move forward and puzzle it out on my own as well. Never would have though about the plastic packing "tape" - I'll have to see if I can find some, or use some boning scraps I have laying around.

I will definitely be continuing to stop by your blog :)

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a thread catcher before -- how lovely! I would like 1 for my wool ends then I could empty it out for the birds to line their nests with

Tracey Jacobsen said...

these are so cute. :)

and Hi friend!!

ayumills said...

Love this idea! I like it comes with a pincushion too! And the tape measure is so perfect for these!

Hands Sew Full said...

These are great! Love your integrity for not making a tutorial for someone else's work, but I do appreciate the tips! I love the twill measuring tape, did you print it or is there somewhere to buy it on line?