Monday, December 14, 2009

Cheeky Mice!

SewCalGal is hosting a Virtual Christmas Quilt Show online! This is a great way to share your favourite Christmas quilt or other stitchery item with everyone in blogland. I admit - I have never made (or met) a handmade Christmassy item that I didn't like. It must be the sentiment of the season that goes into every stitch, but I absolutely LOVE all of my handmade holiday pillow covers, Santas, quilts, wall-hangings, doorknob pulls and ornaments.

For my entry into the virtual quilt show, I'd like to share my sweet little embroidered and quilted wall hanging that wasn't quite finished in time for the holidays last year, but was completed 11 months in advance for this year!! (I highly recommend continuing those unfinished Christmas projects into January so that when they are finished, you can feel totally rock star and smug about your advanced preparations for the next Christmas!).


Enjoy the Christmas Cheer

This little honey is from a pattern by the uber-talented lover of all things tiny and sweet, Natalie, of Cinderberry Stitches. I mean, just look at these cheeky little mice:

Christmas cheer detail2

Christmas Cheer detail

Natalie uses a lot of blanket stitch as outlining in her designs and I often have trouble with it. When it's used around the edge of an applique, I don't have any issues, but when used as an outline (like on the little hanging ornaments), I find the traveling part across the top of the stitch often gets pulled down/in. I've experimented by pulling the stitch tighter, or leaving it loose (seems worse). At any rate, it's a small issue because I adore her designs and have done several. I will order her newest Christmas stitchery quilt 'Raspberry Cream' to make for next year - go have a look, it is adorable beyond words!

I also wanted to share my tree skirt. This project was many years in the making! It is a Bare Roots pattern, but you can really make it your own by embellishing the houses with embroidery: holly, light strings, wreaths and candles in the windows.

Bare Roots tree skirt

If you have a favourite Christmas project to share (and I know you do!), then toggle on over to Sew Cal Gal's blog and enter...there are lots of great prizes to be won!! If you're visiting from the show listings, then welcome to Poppyprint and thanks for stopping by!

**Merry Christmas Everyone**

14 comments:

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

The sticthery is just adorable, and congratulations on finishing your tree skirt, it's lovely! You are right about finishing Christmas projects in January; I started in July this year, and still have one project left to finish. It might be because I always try to squeeze in just a little more of everything...

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the sweet compliment! Your Christmas things are so cute. I have not done any with stitchery and will have to start. The tree skirt is different from any I've seen - beautiful!!

LyndaG said...

Krista - thanks for your comments. I love your stitchery, although I am in a battle with mice who seem to have stolen dried lima beans from my pantry... yours look much safer to have in the house. I'm afraid our snow is here to stay - the temperatures have finally dropped... wouldn't have minded just a bit on Christmas eve!

Rachel said...

Your projects are great! The Cinderberry Stitches pattern is adorable - I love her stuff but all that embroidery is a bit intimidating. I love the tree skirt too!

I also love your attitude - if it doesn't get done for this Christmas finish it 'in advance' for next year. Perfect advice!

Michelle said...

I love the mice!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

paulette said...

I love both your Christmas projects!! Well done!
Paulette

alobsiger said...

How cute! I'm afraid I don't spend much time doing Christmas stitching -- and I regret it every year especially when I see cutie-patootie projects like yours. Hmm, my tree skirt promise is made every year. Still using a vintage tablecloth... :-)

Needled Mom said...

I love both The wee mice are so cute.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Love the stitchery, and your tree skirt is ADORABLE! I can see why it took so long to make-- but I just love it!

Myra said...

Absolutely wonderful wall-quilt and tree-skirt! Love them! Thanks for sharing! 8-)

QuiltSue said...

Both projects are great. I really loved the tree skirt most though

SheilaC said...

I love your tree skirt, it is adorable!!

And I agree about Cinderberry designs.... I have to make one one of these days...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work

SheilaC

SewCalGal said...

Delightful post. Thanks for sharing your quilt in my Virtual Christmas Quilt Show. Random drawing for prizes tomorrow (Dec 25th). Also, there is still time to pop by today and vote for your favorite quilt in this show. Those that vote get an extra entry to win a prize (need not have a quilt in the show to vote).

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Jocelyn said...

Such a darling quilt. And I love your tree skirt. Merry Christmas!