Thursday, June 4, 2015

Soon We'll Be Stitching at Sea!

In 3 more short sleeps (short being the operative word...I have SO much to do!), there will be 19 excited quilters boarding the Celebrity Infinity in Vancouver. We're bound for a week of sewing and so much fun in Alaska!  Personally, I am getting ridiculously excited about my first ever ZipTrek adventure in Ketchikan. One of the platforms is a 30' tower out in the water that we'll zip to and from!

On the cruise, I'll be teaching two workshops over the course of our "at sea" days.  Altogether we'll have about 18 hours of classroom time, so everyone should be able to get their two wall hanging quilt tops together.  However, if people choose to visit the spa, take a dip in the amazing top deck pool, scan the horizon for whales or play bingo all afternoon, those are all options too.

Here's the sample I just finished for our Lonestar Circle Mini class. It's the third one I've made, adapting Lynne's lapsized pattern from Make It, Take It.

Lonestar Circle mini by Poppyprint

Lonestar Circle mini by Poppyprint

Again, I used Cotton & Steel (some brand new prints I scored at Quilt Market sample spree, plus two older ones). The background is Essex yard dyed linen and the backing and binding are a classic (as in, it's really old, please don't ask me where I got it!) Amy Butler floral from Ginger Bliss that is such a perfect match, I think I might have to mash up all of these prints again in another project!  

Lonestar Circle mini by Poppyprint

It's quilted with a sweet, soft pink Aurifil thread in 28 wt. 

This project is fun to make and I've got a few tricks to share with my students about matching those pesky points on bias seams. Our other project, my Temperature Check improv quilt will be a welcome break from the precision work. There's something for every quilter on this cruise!

I'll try to share along the way with Instagram, but there is no free wifi on the ship and quite frankly, I'm looking forward to a week focussed on my surroundings. If we find wifi in a port along the way, I'll show you some of the shenanigans we are bound to get up to!  Otherwise, stay tuned for some photo essays later in June.

11 comments:

SarahZ said...

That sounds like a blast! Have fun...look forward to the trip updates :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the 'twists' you used in quilting, on the side. My youngest son is in Anchorage. I've not been there (yet). Hopefully next summer.

Jeanne said...

Have a wonderful time on your trip!

Katie said...

A tower 30' over the water?! I'm going to need a shot of bourbon or something to get me up there. See you Sunday!!!!!!!

Lise-Lotte said...

Bon Voyage!
Lise-Lotte

pennydog said...

They have an awesome Ziptrek in Whistler- I recommend the advanced level if you enjoy this one. Have a great cruise.

Kelly O. said...

have a wonderful time! wish I could be there!

Beverly said...

So jealous. You must go to the quilt shop in Ketchikan and see Barbara Lavallee's work. I love her prints that have been made into cards and such. The last time I was there she had some of her prints made into quilt patterns also. You must must have a look!! Hope you have a great time stitching.

Dianne said...

After the looooong lists of the past few weeks our days at sea will be a welcome break. So looking forward to our adventure and making this delightful project.
You're on your own with the whole zipline thing though. Not enough alcohol in the world to get me up there! HAHAHA!!!

Unknown said...

What an exciting adventure. Can't wait to read all about it. Loving this mini and all those perfects points. Safe travels!

Leanne said...

Have a wonderful time and yes, just relax and enjoy the trip!