Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Craftivism for Calgary

When Berene envisioned To Boston with Love, she and I learned a new term: Craftivisim. Making bad situations better by making stuff (that's my own definition). However you want to define it, I'm in.

I think everyone living in Canada and a good portion of you living elsewhere will have heard by now that record-setting rainfalls brought unprecedented flooding to southern Alberta last week.  Alberta is our neighbouring province, and while those prairie cowboys and girls are incredibly resilient, having your entire home filled with water, mud and debris is a shocking loss and overwhelming situation to handle. At least three people lost their lives and countless others their homes and belongings. Smaller communities like High River, parts of Canmore and Exshaw are still no-go disaster zones. For an overview, this collection of 20 photos will give you a clearer picture than anything I could write.


So, Craftivism. How can we as a creative community help? Canadian quilter and author Cheryl Arkison has information on her blog here for those of you that may have a finished quilt that you'd like to donate. Others looking to contribute a quick, easy block: read this post and get slabbing! I'm heading into my sewing room to do just that right now.

Thank you for participating. We all know the comfort quilts bring, and there are many in need of comfort in Southern Alberta

7 comments:

Dianne said...

Glad to have a way to help. Maybe several of us can make slabs and send them together sharing postage and the product we wrap them in?

Heather D. said...

Thanks for this info Krista. I have some finished quilts that have been laying around waiting to be donated somewhere for quite some time. Maybe this is where they need to go.

Leanne said...

I am going to write about this too, I will be making slabs next week.

rstogether said...

My in laws in Calgary have people staying with them from High River. Last I heard, they had no idea when they would be allowed back to their home. I can't even imagine. Quilt on!

paulette said...

Yup...I have a quilt in mind too!! Will quilt it up this weekend!! Excellent idea!! Thanks for passing the word out!
P

Lysa said...

Craftivism, love that word! I look forward to seeing it the dictionary one day! Quilters amaze me, not only by being able to make beautiful things but by their generosity.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I definitely want to do this--have been wanting to take a stab at making slabs (groan...) and this is a perfect opportunity. I have a hard time with improv/wonky, etc., so I think this project will cover a lot of bases. Oh, and when it comes to "life is not fair," they are suffering floods and we are in a drought.