Friday, January 6, 2012

Amaryllis Escape

Something grew to epic proportions over the holidays (besides my waistline).  When you bring an Amaryllis home from the garden store, you're never quite sure what will happen. It's the most amazing bulb that can yield incredible results, or be a total dud.  We've got one dried up bulb somewhere in our basement that bloomed every Christmas for several years until the year I forgot to bring it upstairs and water it.  It was time for a replacement and this new one did not disappoint!

Here's a little photo story of it's growth and bloom over a one week period. I took a photo each evening, then waited a couple of days for the full explosion of colour.

Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011 Amaryllis 2011

Ta-Dah!
Amaryllis 2011

There are 9 trumpet flowers between the two stalks. Incredible. All I had to do was add water!

I hope to join you here more regularly soon. I'm finishing up my first project of 2012 (for ME!) but before it is for me, it is for someone else to share with you. If you know what I mean.  I've also got a few fabulous Christmas gifts to show you. My SIL went to town and spoiled me rotten. She even stitched into the wee hours of a few pre-Christmas nights to make me a remarkable hoop. Just wait till you see!

20 comments:

Heather D. said...

Oh WOW. Stunning. And just add water? I could do that. :)

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Your pictures are soooo pretty! It's fun to see the flowers grow just by scrolling down =)

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Katie said...

Wow! That's a beauty!

PinkGranny said...

I love it. We have one too...but this year we forgot to bring it upstairs. Your post just reminded me!

felicity said...

Gorgeous - and nice photos, too. I see you're enjoying your new camera!

Yankee Valley Stitcher said...

What a prolific bulb!! The flowers are stunning. I am still waiting patiently for mine to bloom...it is so close :)

Katy Cameron said...

How gorgeous! My mum and dad had one flowering when I was down at Christmas, and it was the same colour, so seasonal :o)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Beautiful! I see even your amaryllis is adhering to the color of the year, Tangerine Tango!

ania121971 said...

Wow!It is beautiful!

dutchcomfort said...

Oh wow, I love the series of pictures and I love Amaryllis. This colour is gorgeous!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

I love Amaryllis; my sister always buys some for Christmas! Great photos!! Except for a few orchids the miraculously have survived, the only thing I get to expand by adding water is sponges...

paulette said...

Absolutely stunning!! You have a green thumb!
P

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Just add water - oh like that's all - I could probably kill it just by looking at your pictures! x

Dianne said...

What lovely photos Krista! Your camera work always amazes me. One day I must figure out why my photos aren't even in the same province (never mind ballpark) as yours. Must be my camera :0)
Looking forward to seeing your pending posts!!

Amy Friend said...

I'm enjoying one of these right now! Mine is a scarlet red. It has one stalk yet to bloom. I have another that is just beginning to grow so I can enjoy it later this winter. They were both Christmas gifts.

What Comes Next? said...

Gorgeous! I love Amaryllis, but somehow I missed picking one up this year (I have no luck remembering to bring them back in each year) 9 blooms - that is remarkable!

carol said...

Thanks! I have never bought an Amaryllis bulb, but surely I will this year! Beautiful!

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE seeing how quickly they shoot up. What an amazing plant it is....I can almost believe the Jack and the Beanstalk story when I grow one of them.

Terri said...

beautiful Photos Krista

Unknown said...

I have to try one of those one day... they're bloody awesome!