Friday, November 11, 2011

Variegated Thread Selvage Quilts

I'm at retreat. Well, not yet, but by the time you read this I will be yucking it up with my pals, sewing up a storm and sampling everyone's chocolate stash when they're not looking. Because my Krista Sista's have traveled so far to come (K2 from Seattle, K3 all the way from Anchorage via Seattle), I really wanted to show them how much I appreciate their friendship. So I made them each a 14" x 20" quilt in their respective colours.

Variegated Selvage Spool by Poppyprint
This one will head home to Alaska on Monday with K3

Variegated Selvage Spool by Poppyprint



Give me one good reason why I shouldn't bind every future quilt in this Joel Dewberry Heirloom print? It absolutely rocks for binding!!

I've made several Chinese coin quilts with my selvage collection, but ages ago I 'favorited' this quilt on flickr and asked permission to use it for inspiration. I made my spools slightly less wonky, but free-cut the angles on each side of the spool top and bottom. Those strips for the wooden spool were made using selvages from French General fabric (which I think has the most beautiful selvage that is totally worthy of using as a design feature!). I just love the idea of these 'variegated thread' spools functioning as fabric memory quilts - a sweet reminder of all my favourite fabrics. I will definitely make one for myself!

Variegated Selvage Spool by Poppyprint
Here is K2's quilt, which I hope will reside in her Seattle studio.

Variegated Selvage Spool by Poppyprint

I wanted to keep the quilts a surprise, so I've scheduled this post to go live after I've gifted the quilts. I'm so excited. Isn't it a great feeling to give someone a hand-made present? Even more so in this case because I am pretty sure they'll really like them!

I also have another teeny item for the three of us. I'll post a photo once we're all together with those ones, though. They have to do with identification. You see, with three Krista's in one room, there is bound to be trouble. When K2 visited me last year, my husband started the numerical reference (I think I got K1 only because he knew me first - NOT because I'm the, ahem, oldest). K3 is clearly the youngest by a longshot though, so in her case I'm sure being #3 is just fine with her!

I hope you're enjoying your weekend as much as weeeeeeee aaaaaare (gloat, gloat). I'm only doing that because your virtual smacking is having no effect on me whatsoever.

25 comments:

Amy Friend said...

Those spool minis are wonderful! The Kristas will adore them. Hope you gals are having fun but my jealously level is even higher now that my middle child has the stomach flu...

chris said...

Love this design. What a fun thing to receive in the mail!

Leah said...

What beautiful quilts to give or receive! Yes, I'm totally jealous of your super fun retreat, but actually having just as much fun curled on the couch with a whiskey in one hand and a pencil in the other designing new designs!

Sana Saroti said...

Both quilts are so neat but I am drooling over the purple one ;-)

rstogether said...

In the drinking theme, I'm having some tequila, and lamenting that I'm not there. Next year, I SWEAR. Have fun with the Krista's, the Diannes, the Pams and everyone else. Lovely spool quilts - who wouldn't want them on their studio wall. Hope you have a great weekend.

Leanne said...

Those are wonderful little quilts, have fun at the retreat!

PinkGranny said...

What cute doll quilts! They will love them.

Heather D. said...

Awww Krista, these are just adorable!!! Makes me wish I was one of your Krista Sistas! :)

Heather D. said...

Awww Krista, these are just adorable!!! Makes me wish I was one of your Krista Sistas! :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Those are so cute Krista - what a great gift for your sista's!

What Comes Next? said...

Ha! I should have smacked you when I saw you this afternoon! Those are fabulous minis for your sistas, and I can't wait to see your identification pieces!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I am going to change my name to Krista by Deed Poll!!1 xxx

Helen said...

What a beautiful suprise for them Krista! Have a FANTASTIC time at retreat!

Unknown said...

they look amazing, well done.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Love them!

carol said...

Aren't you so nice to make those for your friends? So cute and sure to be well appreciated, I'm sure. Have a ball, you guys! I so wish I was there too!

Ginette said...

Sounds like you gals have lots of fun when you're together. Have a wonderful weekend!!

CitricSugar said...

Very cute blocks! I am always so impressed with what people do with selvedges...

Parohia Plopii Slăviteşti said...

If you have toys and children clothes you don”t need pleas contact me or send them
to me : Ionescu Otilia , Romania , Plopii slavitesti , 147255 , Teleorman
thank you !
Ps. Greate blog!

Carla said...

Very cute. I may have to start saving selvages.

Kirsten said...

Love these quilts - a great way to use selvedges!

Unknown said...

The multiple Kristas must be thrilled with their treasures. You're so sweet to make them each a cute mini! Hope you had fun at retreat!

PatchworkPottery said...

Those are awesome quilts Krista! Is it your own design. I love the SPOOLS!!!!!! Hope you had a great retreat! Hugs, L

Carmen said...

They are really lovely! I suddenly have the urge to go cut all the selvages off my favorite fabrics... :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

these are so SO SEW cute!!! Of course I would be a bit biased because they are selvages. And speaking of bias, that binding IS amazing!