Monday, October 31, 2011

BOO!

Last night while I was recovering from a very busy weekend coupled with a rotten head cold, there was a very insistent knock on our front door, followed by the unmistakable pitter patter of someone running down the front steps as quickly as possible.

I had my suspicions right away; after opening the front door, it was confirmed. We'd been BOO'd!

We've been Boo'd!

This fun Hallowe'en tradition swept through out neighbourhood about 5 or 6 years ago, but I hadn't seen it again until last night. On our doorstep was a goody bag filled with yummy treats (even two cans of pumpkin ale for Dad and lovely napkins for me!) and decorations. The box of homemade Pumpkin Gobs cracked me up. They are delicious cookies stuck in pairs with icing. The idea is that you drop off a goody bag anonymously, along with a sign to put in the window letting others know that you've been BOO'd. It's super fun and when we did it to several neighbours years ago we included our famously disgusting witchy finger cookies that are always a hit!

Every year B and I go to a fun grown-up party where everyone really gets into the spirit with some amazing costumes. Here we are last Saturday, Phyllis and little Lisa from the 137th Calgary Pack.

It's Phyllis!
I always thought Phyllis Diller was the funniest woman ever! As one of my flickr friends commented, I look pretty good for a 94 year old!

Little Lisa from the 69th Calgary Pack
B was working on his beer-consumption badge at the party.

If you've got little ghouls and goblins at your house, I hope you all have lots of fun tonight haunting your neighbourhood!! Happy Hallowe'en!

13 comments:

PinkGranny said...

Very fun costumes and a fun tradition! Thanks for sharing and for the smile!

Sana Saroti said...

What a great idea! You both look great! We had a little Halloween party for my little sister yesterday. Trick-or-treating is getting bigger here in Germany but hard to do in a big anonimous city like Berlin.

Kara said...

Oh my gosh, I love your costumes! And the Girl Scout/Guide costume? Totally shrieked a little when I saw it! :)

dutchcomfort said...

This sounds like so much fun! I love the Girl Scout!

9patchnurse said...

That's hilarious! I love the costumes and what fun to get 'Boo'd'.

Dianne said...

Wow that give Booing a whole new context - what fun! You have such a nice neighbourhood.
Love the costumes!!!

CitricSugar said...

Oh, your Phyllis Diller makes me laugh!

What a great tradition - BOO'ing... Might have to start something like that...

Krista said...

You live in the coolest neighborhood ever!

ANd that Girl Scout costume. Oh my gosh.

I hope you feel better quickly!

felicity said...

Hilarious costumes! Love that Being Boo'd tradition!

randi--i have to say said...

super fun costumes!

Leslie said...

Phylis Diller got her start in Alameda, California where I now live. The community is pretty proud that her Fang stories came from the time she lived here.

karen said...

hahahaha - love the costumes

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh you two look so good!