Saturday, July 16, 2011

Psychedelic Quilt Movie! Yes, there is one!

I've just learned that my tax dollars DO actually pay for something cool...this National Film Board sponsored film! Although the credits say it was made by Gayle Thomas in 1996, I've only just discovered it via a guild friend (thanks Leslie!) and I'm so happy to share it with you. The music seems sort of Japanese-y at the beginning, but then it segues right into some classic Maritime kitchen party tunes. Very Canadian.

DISCLAIMER:I take no responsibility for your bad trip if you are under the influence of (a)prescription painkillers (b) B.C. bud, or (c) several glasses of wine, while watching this. You'll see what I mean.

Enjoy it!


Drunkards Path has never been one of my favourite quilt blocks, but I've gotta say that this pattern shown in the title image for the film is totally cool! I can imagine it in sweet Japanese prints, or repros (again, not usually my scene, but apparently this movie has quilt-brain-expanding magical powers that open your mind to all sorts of never-before-imagined quilt possibilities). Oh! or Happy Mochi Yum Yum. Yeah, that would be the bomb in this pattern.

Back soon with Birthday Month Giveaway #2 winner and Giveaway #3 for ya!

17 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I am speechless! A first!

Brenda said...

fun. thanks for posting it. makes me want to make some of those traditional blocks.

Sana Saroti said...

Makes me wanna sew a quilt right now ;-) I've only made 2 so far but i have a ton of fat quarters and a greater plan but that will have to wait until I'm done studying and moved to the States. Thanks for visiting my blog. I left a comment underneath yours to explain about the bag.

Rachel said...

Very cool! Well worth the 6+ minutes (when I should have been reading my gigantic textbook). This makes me want to do two things:
1. Sew, of course, and
2. Watch the Log Driver's Waltz - I have no idea why, but if you also want to see it, you can find it at http://www.nfb.ca/film/log_drivers_waltz/

Cheers!

Gene Black said...

Very cool, when I first saw the title image, I didn't even think Drunkard's Path. It is a great mind expanding video for quilters.

sandra said...

I loved it very fascinating and mind expending .I really enjoyed watching it.

Unknown said...

totally agree about that version of the drunkard's path. that would be SO cool in Japanese prints!

and I must say I enjoyed the music. does that make me old?

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing.

Dianne said...

Worked up the drunkards path pattern in EQ7 - didn't have japanese fabrics but it turned out pretty cool. Maybe that drunkards path die for the Go Baby might not be such a bad idea afterall! Had seen the video before but enjoyed watching it again. Gives one a whole new appreciation for traditional blocks doesn't it?

Needled Mom said...

I love that Drunkard's Path layout!!!!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Just popped in to say hi and saw you just hit 600 - woot woot. And your birthday month too! BTW DO NOT make totes for my family, you have better things to do. That is an order.

dutchcomfort said...

Lovely film, I had seen it on a blog some weeks ago and it’s fascinating!

Krista said...

Well, I tripped out watching it here at 5:30 in the morning before I had my cup of coffee. That is pretty neat. And I even like the music? Hmmm. Must get that coffee in me!

So glad you're doing the solids swap too! Yay!

Canadian Kristin said...

Sad, the video won't play now?! It's locked?

domestiCass said...

Wow! Can you imagine how long that must have taken to make?!?! I think I need a couple of aspirin now but it is really cool!

Patti said...

I had forgotten about this video which I first saw a few years ago before I started quilting. It was great to revisit it with a completely different perspective! And I love the east coast fiddle music! Thanks for sharing it.

Vivian said...

One Word Wednesday -- WOW!!!

You are right, the drunkards path layout on black is too cool - gotta figure out how to do that one. Also saw a unique Log Cabin layout in one of the images, is that possible?

Made my day!