Monday, August 16, 2010

A Weekend Stroll....

On Saturday morning 1100 amazing women & men departed my alma mater, the University of British Columbia campus, on a 60 km journey to raise money, awareness and several thousand blisters in the name of breast and gynecologic cancers.

opening ceremony flags

We were off in a sea of pink, full of optimism and slathered in sunscreen. It was about 32 C in Vancouver under bluebird skies. My SIL and I walked together and raised almost $7000 between the two of us, not bad!

Day one, only 6 km to go!
Six kilometers to go before we can trade our runners for flipflops!

The volunteer cheering squad was amazing. They drove decorated motorcycles and mini-vans along the route, stopping regularly to help us cross busy intersections, squirt us with water, blast disco tunes to keep us moving and generally provide a super-positive atmosphere.

Captain Pink

Even families along the route showed their support by leaving their sprinklers on over the sidewalk, cheering from their doorsteps, or providing refreshing drinks and in this case delicious plums!

en route

It was wonderful to walk through our amazing city and enjoy the views. Here we are strolling the seawall at the 2010 Olympic Athlete's Village.

walking through 2010 Athlete's Village

All things considered we didn't fare too badly. The medics wrapped my 'other' knee on day 2 and kept my biggest blister sealed under moleskin. I am pleasantly surprised that I'm able to walk today with minimal pain. Mostly, I'm just terribly proud of everyone who participated (especially the large contingent of survivors and women currently undergoing treatment!) and all of our amazing supporters. In Vancouver alone we raised $2.4 million for the B.C. Cancer Agency.

closing ceremony flags

The two of us have already signed on for next year and I'm building a team. We need more walkers! I'm hoping to gather many of my creative and quilty friends so we can "Kick Cancer with Creativity." Care to join us?

post walk ice bath

Like the radio ads said, "cancer is hard...walking is easy".


13 comments:

felicity said...

Congratulations on the walk, Krista! I thought of you all as we sweltered inside this weekend.

Amy Friend said...

Congratulations Krista! That was one heck of a walk! It's a wonderful thing that you did. Thank you!

Dianne said...

You rock sister and so does your SIL!!! Add me to your team for 2011. One question though...is there room for one more set of legs in your ice bath??? :-)

pinksuedeshoe said...

Good for you! I did a 5k in May, but it pales in comparison to a 60k. I am 100% Totally impressed! Also, pretty sure this gives you free reign to eat whatever you want for the rest of your life. Or at least until next Tuesday.

Quilthaze said...

Congratulations - that's an amazing achievement Krista.

carol said...

Well, aren't you a sight with two wrapped knees and swollen feet! Bravo to you for finishing and raising so much $$ for such a worthy cause!!

sandra said...

That is wonderful, thanks from a Breast Cancer Surviour . I wish I could walk but not in cards for me right now

♥Duff said...

Congratulations! What an immense show of determination and strength--may your attributes today be passed on to cancer patients across B.C.

paulette said...

Wow!! You guys are incredible...and in this heat!! KILLER!! Good for you!
Paulette

Peggy said...

Congratulations - maybe if I start walking today, I can be in shape for next year!!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Wow, Krista; well done! It sounds like an amazing event - and result! I love the last picture of you with your feet in the cooler.-)

Tiffany said...

I too, love the "feet in the cooler" photo! Outstanding achievement. Thank you for your generosity and devotion to the cause.

Micki said...

What a wonderful walk you did. It truly is quite an achievement and such a worthy cause.
Micki